Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
please help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

please help

Hello, My name is Travis, im 21 years old and have been experiencing some odd things. For the past couple years Ive had a problem were i get a sharp pain in my head whenever i make hard physical contact with something. For example if im driving and hit a bump in the road i feel the pain in my head. The pain also shows when i punch a punching bag or make a tackle during a football game. Also im not sure if the two are related but when ever i jog in place or jump up and down or on a trampoline i frequently get the same sharp pain in my head but i also hear a sound in my ears at the same time...almost sounds and feels like my brain is bouncing around in my head. I have had an MRI and  CT scan but my neurologist said everything looked normal and said that a muscle that swells is pushing up against a nerve. Im not sure tho any suggestions??? Thank you
We are patients too.
It sounds like you doc ruled out anything nasty and alas, nerves and muscles don't show up well on imaging.  You can pursue more testing like EEGs and EMGs - but the EMG is pretty painful (lots of needles and shocks!) and may actually exceed the pain you are having. Pain is, to me as a layman, a warning sign from your body that you are exceeding limits or something is up (burning, hurting etc) so you have to decide how much pain is really there and the fact that it is not consistent is actually a plus. I wonder too if it could be related to your teeth or jaw - perhaps you are clamping when you hit a hole or hit a tackle? Has that been investigated? Pain can travel.

Hearing something in your ears is probably ear related - there is fluid in the ears. Have you seen an ENT?

No one can diagnose over the internet - these are merely ideas.
Thank you for your reply! I Have been to an ENT and audiologist and they both said my ears were fine. The sharp quick pain im feeling comes around even when im not clenching my jaw. Maybe i should try to get an x ray of my jaw? Because i feel the pain when i hit my jaw. I know most people would say "well then don't hit your jaw" but its way to sensitive to be normal, if i hit my jaw with my hand with just a little bit of force i feel the quick pain, the same pain i feel when i hit a bump in the road or punch a heavy bag, but it feels like its coming from my head. Its like the vibration's travel up my body and triggers something in my head, at least that's what it feels like. Sometimes i also hear my heartbeat in my ears and if i stand up to quickly after sitting down i get a headache. Do you think i should go for a stress test or anything? Im only 21 years old but heart disease does run in my family and the last time i checked my cholesterol was about 6 years ago and i remember it was extremely High. Thank you again for your help
When was the last time you saw a dentist? The dentist may help you figure out some of the jaw or maybe tooth issues. It could be a nerve that is sensitive. And that pain does travel.

Re heartbeat in your ears - as far as I know - that can be pretty normal. It takes a sec for the body to normalize blood pressure when you go from sitting and standing - posture changes. Now, if your BP were to drop, then that is not normal - and that is POTS.

High cholesterol is diet or heredity (sometimes a disease issue such as hormones) as far as I know. Do you see your doc and get tested regularly?
I have not had my blood taken in about 4 years so that would def be a good thing to do. As far as the teeth go the only thing i can think of is that this all started roughly around the time that i got braces so maybe i should look into that.
Yes - start with a doctor, dentist and all - you have to see brick and mortar docs - you cannot get a diagnosis over the internet.