Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
schwannoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

schwannoma

My dad was just diagnosed with a schwannoma tumor on his 4th cranial nerve.  He is 64 years old and the symptoms he is having are double vision, near sighted only and a slight tilt of his head.  They haven't performed the MRI to confirm the dx yet.  He is also fairly deaf, could it be affecting the nerve for his ears also?  Can it's increasing size cause a brain herniation and what are the chances of that happening in his lifetime?  How fast do they grow and is this a life sentence?
JoJo
Hi;

I'm new to the group so don't know the posting rules; Thus; Please forgive, Drs, if I say something in error or out of line here.
   JoJo; I have had two of these schwannomas, known as acoustic neuromas in an area affecting the 7th and 8th cranial nerves. Basically, the inner ear and facial nerve.
   I'm not remembering the 4th nerve right now and will soon look, but assume it is related to the eyes?
   When you say "increasing size", I'm unsure what you base that on as no MRI has been performed yet. This test is vital to a good diagnosis and need be done with gadolinium contrast. 2 MRIs would be needed about 6 months-1 yr. apart to establish baseline.
   Schwann cell tumors grow slowly most of the time ( 1 - 2 mm. per year ) but at your Dad's age, have a tendency to slow or stop growing.
   I personally doubt herniation and re, "life sentence", would need to know size and location in proximity to the brain stem to assay that, which is truly Dr. territory, of which I'm not.
   Hope this helps a little... Best wishes to your father and you in this. I can appreciate your concern.

Russ
For months a nagging neck pain worsened. After 12 doctors, 2 MRI'S, 3 X-RAYS, and and EMG it was finally diagnosed as a T-1 schwannoma. It is large. It hurts like you would not believe. Right now I am scheduled for a "pain pacemaker", as I call it, to deliver pain meds directly into the area on a timed basis. I do this to avoid major surgery; that would be an immense undertaking. I do not want by spine opened unless absolutely necessary.