Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
sleep/anxiety issues-blood work shows high TSH, normal Free T4 & hi...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

sleep/anxiety issues-blood work shows high TSH, normal Free T4 & high Vit B12

I've been having trouble with sleep (all started with my first pregnancy 4 1/2 years ago).  I have two young boys now & the sleep loss accumulation is really starting to interfere with everything everyday.  I'm determined to get to the bottom of it all & get back to my normal sleep patterns without having to take meds for it.  

About 3 months ago, I experienced what I felt was a spiritual/religious awakening in the middle of the night (long story, but felt light as air when a "spirit" would enter me & extremely heavy when it would leave...MANY more feelings on top of this).  It was scary & prompted us to take immediate action.  The first doctor said I might have had an anxiety/panic attack, but other doctors are certain way more is going on.  My husband felt that we needed to get me sleeping better right away & I started taking Lunesta 2mg (sleep aide) & Clonazepam 0.5mg (anti-anxiety) 2 days after the "attack."  They helped me sleep, but I still feel the symptoms of that night.  I awaken with those feelings of numbness & tingling in my hands & feet, cool air at my face, feelings of fear & fast pulse suddenly at night about every 1-2 weeks since that night.

I just had some blood work done to find out what is going on inside at the request of a neurologist.  The only high readings were for the TSH which was 9.340 uIU/mL (range was 0.450-4.500, also did a Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct, S & range was 0.82-1.77 with my result as 1.06 ng/dL) & Vitamin B12 which was 1338 pg/mL (range was 211-946).  About 1 month ago, I weaned off of the Lunesta & am currently only taking 3/4 of a Clonazepam pill as well as vitamins, herbs & supplements.  There are so many posts here that I don't even know where to begin reading!  I would greatly appreciate any help & ideas.  Thank you!
Was it delivery or pregnancy? If delivery, then Sheehan's syndrome can be an issue.

As for the thyroid - they did only moderate testing. TSH is a pituitary test and that is low (TSH runs backwards!) and the lab is using an old range - it is supposed to be .3 to 3.0. The T4 is the storage but the T3 was not tested which shows what the thyroid is using. The doc could also run antibodies to see if you have an auto-immune thing going on.

Did you have a sleep study? If your heart is racing at night - any heart studies?
Thank you for your reply.  My sleep issues began with my first pregnancy.  I read about Sheehan's syndrome & I don't think I fall under that thank goodness!  I don't recall have severe blood loss & never had major issues with breastfeeding either of my boys.  I nursed my first son for 16 months & my second son for 14 months.  It's a good thought though.

Good point on the thyroid testing.  I didn't know about the tests before my blood was tested.  I'm interested to hear what the neurologist will say about it.  I will have to ask about the t3 test & maybe even about running antibodies.

I haven't had any heart studies done.  I will be getting an MRI this week & possibly an EEG soon.  My heart races when the some of the spiritual awakening symptoms occur at night.  In February, I will have a sleep study for one night.  I'm ready to get to the bottom of it.  Thanks for your insight!
Pain Tracker
Pain
LittleMissSweetie commented on Life after brain tumo...
Aug 28
mhv commented on photo
Aug 26
mhv commented on photo
Aug 26