Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
symptoms of brain tumor? 17 years old scared

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Well im 17 years old im 6'2  weigh 175lbs ive been playing soccer my whole life and started muay thai about 2 months ago. Ive always had headaches after soccer games and they arent always bad sometimes they are. I also find it hard to concentrate.  My personality has always been goofy and I have a short temper with people who are bothering me. My main concern is do I have a brain tumor my symptoms are as listed : fatigue, sharp pain behind my right eye that comes and goes within five seconds,  lack of concentration, headaches, drowsiness and I feel  tired alot more then I used to, naseau this just started, and lack of appetite. I also feel as if my personality may have changed  a couple months back. I broke up with my girlfriend we got back and I was unable to be patient with her. I talked with my general doctor and she told me that this is mosy likely just a migrane (migraine). I typically in my free time besides going to parties play video games on my computer such as during the weekdays. I will play from 12 pm - 3am with 15 min breaks every 2 hours. I think about all these symptoms constantly. Could this just be anxiety ? All the women on my moms side of the family such as her mother and her sisters have had history of migranes (migraines). My dad also gets cluster headaches.  Im very worried and scared.
I am not a doctor, but a layman.

Here is my best guesses on this. We get a lot of *do I have a tumor* posts - and I would say in most of them, like yours, I would guess based on the data given it is likely you don't have a brain tumor.

I would however go back to the doctor and get more testing. I would ask for more testing on hormones as they effect mood, as well as electrolytes aka  sodium and potassium. My thinking is this - after you are active in sports, it could be that your electrolytes are lowering too much. Do you feel better after gatorade, or salt?

Since migraines run in the family, there is a good chance that you too can have them - but I find it strange that the doc said ok, you probably have migraines WITHOUT treatment? Normally one is sent on to a neurologist and you are evaluated carefully to rule out anything else which includes brain tumors - and then put on a medication to prevent migraines and given another to take when the break through.

At your age, staying up and all is pretty normal (I wish I could still do that!) but the lack of appetite with your activity level I would guess is not. I would ask to see an endocrinologist about the hormones. I would also get a copy of your results. Nausea can be related to hormones too - does salt help resolve that nausea?