Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
symptoms of pituitary tumor - fainting and passing out

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Hi, my 21 yr old cousin has been having some health issues and in the course of the tests they discovered she has a tennis ball sized pituitary tumor.  Because I have a pit tumor her mom has been asking me some questions.  I've been fortunate that mine was found incidentally and has caused no problems.  She has been having problems with passing out, memory loss, and has been injured from falling after passing out (broke her arm, fallen downstairs several times, bruises, concussions, etc).  This has been going on for almost 3 years, she's been to several drs, neurologists, endocrinologists, cardiologists, etc.  They maintain that the pit tumor has nothing to do with her "spells", but I'm not so sure.  I find it hard to believe a tumor that large can't cause problems.  She's had to move back in with her parents because she can't be alone, she also can't work.  
The drs maintain it's not causing her problems and because it's so large and in a bad area they are not willing to operate.  She's continues to have fainting spells.  All blood tests are apparently normal, but last week she had another episode and went to a walk in clinic (her doc is on holidays) and this dr got her in for an emergency MRI for the next morning (which really is unheard of around here, usually you'd wait several weeks/months for an emergency MRI - am in Canada) and he ordered blood tests. Although she sees a doc this week for the MRI results her blood tests showed her B12 was extremely low. They've started her on something for that already.  I haven't been much help to her, but am trying to encourage the family to see if they can be referred to a pituitary specialist either in Canada or the states.  
Has anyone heard of passing out/fainting as a symptom or side effect of a pit tumor? or a low B12 level ?
Thanks.
That is a pretty large growth and I would imagine that it is causing lots of symptoms. I've heard of passing out fainting from anemia. B12 is a type pf anemia. Also without knowing how this growth sits it could be pressing on nerves and arteries that supply blood to that area. So yes fainting/passing out or even seizures could be possible. You might encourage your cousin or mother to post. You are hearing things second hand and don't have all the labs tests and stuuf like that for any of to comment more.
Low B12, yes, for sure.
Passing out, not common, but it could happen with changed in sodium and potassium or may be shutting off blood supply to the carotids.

I would have her go to every doctor possible and even other countries if possible. That tumor will wrap around blood vessels and nerves and the lack of hormones from the pressure on the pituitary can kill her.

She needs hormonal testing and replacements, B12 is nice - but she likely needs hormones. I would bet her D is low too.
I HAD BACK AND 3 NECK SURGERIES AN HEALED IN 2009- WAS ATTACKED AN SURGERIES ALL RUINED IN 2009, THEN CAR WRECK MADE BACK AN NECK WORSE- NOW MY CT SCAN SAID A SCREW IN NECK IS HITTING SPINAL CANAL MAKING PITUITARY ENLARGED AND NOW IM PASSING OUT AND NOW THIS WEK NOSE IS SWOLLEN FROM CONSTANTLY BEEN DRIPPING AND SCABBING ON BOTTOM- IM TERRIFIED MYSELF WAITING FOR DISABILITY AN CANT FIND A PLACE TO LOVE THAT HAS NO STAIRS CUZ STAIRS HURT ME AN CANT CARRY POODLE UP STEPS AFTER ANY SURGERY--- NIGHTMARE- I'LL BE DEAD BEFORE I GET HELP- BEEN WAITIN\G 3 YRS TO GET FIXED AN NOW PASSING OUT- IT HAS TO BE FROM PITUITARY OR SCREW HITTING SPINE- NEURO SURGEON FROM UVA TOLD ME TO GET NEW MRI AN CT SCAN OF HEAD AN NECK- THATS WHAT ID SUGGEST YOUR DAUGHTER GETS- EVEN IF SHE NEVER HURT HER NECK- SOMETHING COULD BE PRESSING ON HER SPINAL CANAL IN HER HEAD LIKE MINE--- MY EMAIL IS HRTAGLD4@ YAHOO.COM CASE YOU WANTA KEEP IN TOUCH- MAY NOT FIND THIS FORUM AGAIN- DONT DO THIS ON HERE MUCH, BUT SAW EVERYONE TALLKING ABOUT PITUITARY AND NEEDED TO SEE IF THEIR HAVING SAME ISSUES AS I AM- MAKE SURE SHE DRINKS A LOT OF WATER CUZ SAYS IT CAN DEHYDRATE YOU- AN I FOUND THIS SOY RASBERRY MILK-- (I DONT DRINK SOY MILK) BUT THIS ONE IS REALLY GOOD AND SWET AND IT HAS VIT C 100%, VIT d, AND CALCIUM AND IT TASTE LIKE A RASBERRY LITE MILK- ITS REALLY GOOD- REALLY DOESNT TASTE LIKE MILK EITHER BUT SHE PROB NEEDS THE VITAMINS, IN ALL OF OUR CASES LESS SHES HAD HER VITAMINS AND HORMONE LEVELS CHECKED I WOULD IMAGINE THE XTRA VITAMINS CANT HURT - LESS SHES ALLERGIC TO SOY MILK- IM TERRIFIED CUZ IT SAID PITUITARY CAN CAUSE COMA OR DEATH- GEE THATS NICE AND CANT GO TO ER AN MAKE THEM FIX ME CUZ DONT HAVE BACK UP MONEY OR PLACE TO LIVE W OUT STAIRS- ITS SAD WE ALL HAVE TO SIT HERE AN SUFFER AN RISK OUR LIFE AN NOT KNOW- I CANT EVEN GET TO ANY SURGEONS CUZ NO INSURANCE- THATS SO UNFAIR-HOPE THIS HELPS- ID GET N\MRI AN CT OF HEAD AN NECK ASAP- PRAYERS ARE W U- ***@**** IS MY EMAIL CASE I CANT FIND THIS FIRUM TO CHECK HOW SHES DOING- I THINK WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER - THANKS SUSAN
I find all caps very hard to read. Then there are no breaks - so I may miss a lot - sorry. It all blends.

All I can think of is sodium and potassium levels - are yours normal?