Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
taking norprolac, how long to restore menstrual cycle?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Hi All, I am currently takin Norprolac, have been since June, just wondered if anyone knew how long it would take to restore ovulation and menstrual cycle. I am desperate for a baby and this is my only problem, the hospital consultant just give me the tablets and did not explain on how long to see the results. Hope you can help?
From what I can see, this is drug not available in the U.S..  Please see private message for info on the drug.  It doesn't look like they say how long it is before getting the results you desire.  Have they found a prolactinoma on your pituitary gland and if so, what size is it?  

You say this is your only problem- do you mean too high of prolactin or not ovulating nor having menses?   Have they taken a look at your thyroid function, your follicle stimulating hormone and your luteinizing hormone?
hi. They have confirmed a prolactinoma bout 1cm in size, they say i will be back to normal once the prolactin level decreases. Apparently the high prolactin is the reason i am not ovulating and having menses. As soon as the prolactin level is normal again, my menses should come back and ovulation will occur. just wanted to know roughly how long this would take whilst taking norprolac?
Hi-
It usually takes 2-3 months once you are on the right dose. You might ask your endo if they can give you progesterone to induce a cycle. It does not always work, but it is worth asking about. This is so that you endometrial lining does not keep building up. That, in itself, can cause other problems.
Horselip
thanks very much for help, i have an appointment now on 25/09/10 so will ask for progesterone then.
Pain Tracker
Pain
melimeli commented on KeeLolo's status
Aug 21
lola4686 added the Diabetes Tracker
Aug 17
lola4686 Struggling to get my prolac... Comment
Aug 17