Brain/Pituitary Tumors Community
xanthogranuloma of the left parietal lobe

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Brain Tumors and Pituitary Tumors.

Hello. I have not posted here in a while. An emergency room trip after a bad reaction to Wellbutrin, led me to have a CT scan, which is where the xanthogranuloma on my left parietal lobe is located. Has anyone every had one removed via craniotomy? If so, what was your recovery like?

Here is more of the backstory. I was told by the ER doctor that I'd had the lesion for some time. It is a highly plausible theory to me, because I've suffered from severe depression, absense seizures, myclonic seizures, anxiety, inability to pay attention, migraines, and headaches since I was a small child. During my young years in school, my teachers urged my mother to take me to a neurologist, because they were concerned about my depression, anxiety, and seizures. My mother never took me to get an MRI, because she did not like to miss time for work. I'm 36 now (almost 37). I know that older brains are less plastic in terms of re-gaining anything lost through brain surgery. How much slower should I expect to be after surgery?
From what I can research, that lesion is pretty rare in the brain as it is usually a skin lesion...

They are common in children...

When you are older, I guess the brain has a harder time to re-program but it is not impossible. After all, they do brain surgery all the time.

In general, like any surgery, I would talk to several surgeons and ask a lot of questions so you are comfortable. Since it is a rare tumor, someone is likely not going to have experience on the particular tumor but ask about surgical techniques, outcomes, bleeding, and numbers of surgeries. If possible, I would try to use the least invasive as possible only so that recovery is easier but not knowing the exact location and size, that may or may not be possible.

There is also an expert forum and you can ask that doctor.
That is what I'm afraid of. I don't even know where to start looking for a doctor.
I would probably get your records in CD and the paperwork the report etc. and start faxing a cover letter and calling around. Have the CD and make copies at home to send.

Does your insurance let you go out of state? I would contact them - most insurance programs have a nurse line or a place to go for complex care and sometimes they can help guide you a bit.

You may end up at a cancer center even if you don't have cancer but they have nice surgical techniques and if needed, MRI during surgery and stuff like that.