Brain Tumor International Expert Forum
Brain Tumor and/or other serious condition?

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to brain tumors, such as: Causes, Chemotherapy, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

I am a 23 year old male with no family history of brain tumors. In January, I developed a bad headache. I had cold-like symptoms and was told it was probably a sinus-related. The cold went away, but the headache continued. Throughout this time I've had pain in my ears. Its not constant; comes and goes. A month later I started getting worried and went to the hospital and got a CT scan, they said it may be because of a sinus polyp. Medicine helped, but nothing completely eliminated it. Around this time as well I developed minor eyelid twitches; first in my left eyelid which went away, then in my right which also went away eventually. A month after that I went to a ENT doctor who told me the headaches weren't because of the sinus polyp and that besides the polyp my sinuses were fine and my ears looked okay. I went to a neurologist who said its probably tension headaches. I tried to stop worrying at that point and for much of April and early May it seemed to be minimal or gone completely (or maybe I wasn't focused on it at all because it was finals time at school and I was concentrating on that). At the end of May, and continuing until now, the headaches are back. Everyday its in a different location; sometimes its in the back right of my head, sometimes in the back left, sometimes its on either side or in the front. Sometimes its dull, other times it throbs. The often pain/fullness feeling in my ears is there too. The twitching in my right eyelid returned, but not for long and seems to have subsided completely. At this point I would think the twitching came from stress, but who knows. I haven't vomited at all, but the past 2-3 days some mild feelings of nausea. I haven't had any major feelings of pins and needles, at least no more than I've had at any other point in my life. After all this time, I'm now really worried it could be a brain tumor or a brain aneurysm. I'm requesting an MRI; I am so worried and stress myself out all the time now. What does this sound like?
Dear Friend,
This can be anything.
Presently the twitching appears to be benign and is stress induced. Other signs and symptoms are also due to stress related.
There is no harm in opting for a MRI scan. If the scan comes out normal, then this diagnosis is 100% confirmed.
However, if the report is abnormal, please post it to me that time.

Beside this you can -
1) Keep stress levels low.
2) Enjoy some vacations,
3) Eat food rich in Magnesium ions (Honey / Wheat / Milk / Soya / Peanuts), which will help in reducing the twitches.
4) Do a Opthalmologist's consultation, so as to rule out eye weakness,
5) Give your muscles adequate rest.

Feel free to discuss further
Thanks for the help. For the past few days, the pain has been in my right ear and not really in the front or any other part of the head. The nausea is gone completely. One symptom I forgot to mention: the occasional burning sensation in my neck and upper spine for a couple seconds. When I say occasional, I mean around once a day (sometimes a couple times). It hasn't gotten any worse in the six months, but still persists. Does that change your opinion at all?
Do this pranayam(breathing technique) and it will relax you and take care of the varied symptoms you are facing.You should be symptom free in 12 weeks. If the headache is still there after doing the pranayam regualarly for 12 weeks, then seek further medical help.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
Doctor Ghosh -

Do you have any idea about what it could be with the additional symptom I listed in my reply? (the burning feeling in upper spine)? Now the pain mostly resides in my ears plus the burning described above.
Could you please answer my previous question?