Brain Tumor International Expert Forum
Concerned about my MRI

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to brain tumors, such as: Causes, Chemotherapy, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

Concerned about my MRI

I’m a 33 year old male.  I’m concerned about a recent MRI report.  My Dr. called with the results and told me a spot was found on the MRI.  He told me it is not cancer and to just have a follow up MRI in 12 months to be sure of no change.  Should I be concerned (lg-glioma).  What can cause a spot?  Any information would be highly appreciated.  

MRI of the Brain without Contrast

Technique: Multiplanar, multisequence MR imaging of the brain without contrast.

Findings:  The ventricles and sulci are midly prominent for the patient's age, suggesting mild diffuse cerebral volume loss.  There is a small focal area of abnormal increased T2 signal in the medial aspect of the anterior right temporal lobe.  There is no diffusion restriction in this area or anywhere else in the brain.  No susceptibility is seen to suggest blood or blood products.  On T1-weighted imaging, this small focus of abnormal signal is slightly hypointense.  This small lesion measures approximately 5 mm in diameter.  No other white matter or gray matter lesions are identified.  The orbits and optic chiasm are normal in appearance.  The basilar cisterns are patent.  Flow is seen in the intracranial vessels at the circle of Willis.  No extra-axial fluid collection is seen.  The cerebellopontine angles appear normal.  Mucous retention cysts are seen in the maxillary sinuses bilaterally and in the right aspect of the sphenoid sinus.  No air-fluid levels are identified.  

Impression:
Small focus of nonspecific abnormal increased T2 signal in the medial aspect of the right temporal lobe.  In the absence of symptoms associated with this region, a follow up study is recommended in 6-12 months to confirm stability, as a low grade glioma can have this appearance.  Alternatively, this could be an atypical presentation of a demyelinating process as this lesion is in the periventricular region.  No other white matter lesions are identified to support diagnosis.
Dear Firend,
Apoligies for a delayed response.
Well presently we really can't give much opinion as what exactly is the issue.
I really don't want to give you hints on basis of my suspicion as it may cause usless worry inside your mind.
We will have to take a Re-MRI , after 6 months, for comparision and then arrive at a conclusion.
If still you want to have hints,please discuss further.
Regards
An update:

Since my original post a follow up MRI was done with contrast.  The 5 mm lesion did not enhance.  An additional 7 mm lesion was found in my pituitary area.  

My neurologist ordered a spinal tap yesterday morning and I have a PET scan on Tuesday.  She is not giving me any hints as to what this might be.  She did seem pleased that the 5mm lesion did not enhance.  

In her office she mentioned MS but told me that MS generally would show up as multiple lesions on an MRI.  She told me that she could rule out ALS based on our exam and due to ALS being her area of expertise.

I am confused and concerned.  Most all of my symptoms have stopped other than the squiggly lines I am seeing in my right eye.  I no longer feel tingling or numbness.  My balance seems to be back and my left calf is no longer tight.

My primary care doctor seems to think anxiety is causing most of this.  He told me that anxiety can do very weird things to the body.  

I would appreciate any hints or suspicions that you might have.  On my follow up MRI it mentioned that I had a slight malrotation of my left hippocampus.  I don't have a history of seizures (in fact I don't think I have ever had one).  Let me know what you think.

Thank you!