Brain Tumor International Expert Forum
hemiplegia in child

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to brain tumors, such as: Causes, Chemotherapy, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms and Treatments.

hemiplegia in child

Was called to the school this Tuesday 3rd Aug 10 during lunch time because my 11 yr old son had left temple dull headache and numbness  inner thigh area, then left arm from wrist to shoulder became numb and a little weak. Took him home and noticed left side face droop, headache then was on right side temple area, but left side headache gone, my son was conscious and aware of his surroundings. Called Ambulance took him to hospital, where on arrival all symptoms resolved except headache. He was seen by pediatric doctor who did a full nurological exam, and based her diagnoses on the fact that he had normal mri scan 15 months earlier and normal nuro exam said it was more likely complex migraine. Next day was seen by pediatrician who spoke to my son's pediatrician on the phone and both concluded due to previous MRI AND MRA scan15 months eariler being normal and normal nurological exam that they could exclude brain tumor and stroke by 99%. Doctors reasuured me if it was a brain tumor symptoms would not have resolved within 1 hour, symptoms would still be there until medical treated. They are sending him for EEG  in a weeks time as they say it might be mild epilepsy but more so complex migraine. I myself and my daughters have suffered similar symptoms like numb arm, and fingers, or tounge. I was wondering can this happen in a child his age as I am going crazy thinking the worse. Maybe stroke or tumor.  He has had a slighty headache last couple of days  above his left temple and then moves to right eye. But prior to Mri Scan 15 months ago he did have left side temple headache above ear thats why scan was ordered. I took my son on Fri 6th Aug 10, to our local doctor who said it was unlikely a tumor, so this is 3  doctors that reviewed him  and all said the same, but I still cant stop worrying as they have not repeated the MRI SCAN, they said if the EEG comes back abnormal then they will, but said it is unlikely to be abnormal. .  Regards Kim
Dear Friend,
I fully agree with you and would suggest you to ask them to allow a repeat MRI scan as 15 months is a long gap.
We really can't afford to have a lapse due to a 15 month old report.
Please change the doctor, if the present one is not agreeing.
Once the scan reports are ready, please discuss.
Regards.