Brain Tumors Expert Forum
Acromegaly My MRI results Please tell me what you think

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to brain tumors, such as: Causes, Chemotherapy, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments-Other.

I was recently diagnosed with acromegaly cannot get into the Nero until July 1st, and I am very very anxiousaned maybe in denial.  My IGF-1 was 870. There isn't room here for both contrast and non contrast,as well as other blood tests, so I hope this is enough information. “On the post contrast sequences, there is a difference in the enhancement features between the superior-most portion of this process and more inferiorly. Superiorly a more normal appearing enhancing pituitary gland is seen with the exception of its posterior aspect where a possible cyst is again appreciated. The latter measures approximately 3 x 4 mm in size. It could also represent a small cystic microadenoma. The majority of the process however appears to be below the pituitary gland and is relatively hypointense on the postcontrast sequence. While comparison with the précontrast study performed on a different date is difficult, the signal intensity when quantified appears greater than the precontrast study suggesting that there is some degree of enhancement. It does not appear to invade the cavernous sinus but extends craniocaudally approximately 2.2 cm, anteroposteriorly  1.5 cm and transversely spans the width of the sphenoid sinus measuring approximately 2 cm. On the prior examination, it appeared to be markedly hypointense on T2 relative to the gland. This is a somewhat unusual appearance for adenomas which are typically more hyperintense on T2  and also enhance to a far greater degree. However clinically there is a very strong history supportive of growth hormone production and potentially -a functional adenoma that extended inferiorly rather than superiorly could cause .the above finding though quite unusual. At this time consideration may be given to a dedicated CT of the skull base to exclude abnormalities from the sphenoid bone itself such as fibrous dysplasia.”  I would be happy to answer any questions if I didn’t give enough info.
Thank you
In general, acromegaly can occur because of a growth from your pituitary gland.  They are usually benign tumors.  Measuring IGF-1 levels usually help to make the diagnosis.  Often times, acromegaly is managed by both an endocrinologist and a neurosurgeon.  Some can be treated medically.  Surgery is usually indicated in situations where the growth causes visual compromise or if the lesion is quite large.  Have you seen either yet?
Yes, I have an appointment with a neurosurgoen my endo recommended on July 1st, however, I feel like I am going crazy waiting till then. I couldn't tell if the mri was suggesting I had 2 tumors or one,  I guess I would like it not to be acromegaly, the tumor doesn't scare me as much as the deforming disorder. Anyway, thanks for your answers.
I can understand the stresses you're going through.  Please let me know if I can be of further help!
Does the blood work, the igf-1 of 870 have to mean acromegaly?
Not always.  I think that seeing the endocrinologist and neurosurgeon will be the best way to answer your questions.  If you would like, we'd also be happy to see you in our pituitary center to help you with your questions.
A related discussion, PITUITARY MACROADENOMA was started.