Brain Tumors Expert Forum
Can surgery help ?

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to brain tumors, such as: Causes, Chemotherapy, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments-Other.

Can surgery help ?

I have a Pituitary Tumor. It has been told to me that it is only 6mm. In the past year I have been admitted to the hospital 5 times. 3 of those times it was found that I had low a Cortisol level, as low as .08, 1 and 2. I had a syncopal type episode before each time. I get really blurred vision and almost pass out, my heart rate drops, my blood pressure has been low and I am really weak, my periods are very irregular, I get bad headaches very often. When I was diagnosed 3 years ago my prolactin was elevated, but now I have problems with my Cortisol level. My Endocrinologist claims it's to small to cause any problems.  I fear that this will cause me to be infertile This has caused me to lose my job and i'm on the verge of losing my new job I've had for 3 weeks. Can surgical removal help with this problem ?
Tags: Tumor, help
Sometimes, surgical resection can help patients with their symptoms, however pituitary surgeries also risk the worsening of pituitary functions.  It is not unreasonable to seek a second opinion.
As Dr Lim suggests, get a second opinion and please get one from a pituitary specialist.  A good source on line is the Pituitary Network Association (www.pituitary.org) with a list of pituitary specialists.  A tumor of any size can create a number of problems.

I was originally diagnosed in 1995 with a macro prolactinoma that was pressing on the optic nerve and had not had a period in over 2 yrs (part of that from a pregnancy and breast feeding).  Due to the issues with my vision and the desire to have another child the tumor was successfully removed.  

Since that time, there has been regrowth, though smaller it is still over 1cm.  This time we are treating with bromocriptine.  

The point is, once a pituitary patient, always a pituitary patient.  But with the right care from those who specialize in pituitary disease/tumors (not just any Endo will do) you shouldn't have to suffer.
Can surgery help - that was my first question as well. I've a 5 mm pit tumor along with a couple of cysts all measuring about 7.5 mm. It sounds like you have a lot going on and I'm sorry to hear that. I did a lot of research in the beginning about the size of my tumor and could it be the cause of the plethora of symptoms I was having - I tell ya it depends on who you see because though I went to a well known pituitary specialist he out right said its too small to cause my symptoms. One could debate that issue as I've read material arguing both sides of tumor size being the cause of symptoms. I got so tired of trying to convince doctors that I had to take a break and regroup. I have read that pituitary tumors are one of the hardest things to diagnose cause docs don't usually think of it. They mimic so many other things etc etc...Find a good doctor, there are mannnnny out there. And, If someone does decide to do surgery make sure they are a routine procedure for them.

All the best