Brain Tumors Expert Forum
Facial Symptoms

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to brain tumors, such as: Causes, Chemotherapy, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments-Other.

Facial Symptoms

A few weeks ago I started having vision problems (i.e. blurry vision, seeing flashing lights). I went to an opthamologist who dialated my pupils to check my optic nerve and retina. He felt that there was no swelling and both my optic nerve and retina looked fine. The symptoms have not gone away. I had a random blood glucose test done around the same time and it came back normal.

A few days later, I began to have facial numbness and tingling in my top lip, top gum and nose. The numbness usually occurs after I have been up for a few hours in the morning and then disappears in the evening. There is also the appearance of red blood vessels (red lines) on the side of my nose. I have also noticed that the numbness is accompanied by a slight change in taste in my mouth and a feeling that my tongue is swollen.

I'm under a lot of stress in graduate school. Could that be the cause? If it were MS or a brain tumor would my opthamologist have picked up on it?

Thanks,
Jason
It sounds like you're under a great deal of stress.  Your symptoms of blurriness and facial numbness can be nonspecific but I can see that they can be concerning to you.  I suggest that you talk with your primary care doctor where he/she can work though this with you.  
Sorry, I forgot to add that I am on a statin for cholesterol.
Thanks Doctor. You've eased my mind. I will follow up with my GP. I appreciate your quick response. I think that what you do on this website is a great help.