Brain Tumors Expert Forum
Headache & Neck Pain

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to brain tumors, such as: Causes, Chemotherapy, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments-Other.

Headache & Neck Pain

Hello Doctor
I’m a 21 years old male. Since last week I started having a headache. About a day after I developed the headache I started having a weird sensation in my neck. More like a pain I have never experienced. Kind of like a tired muscle feeling. Since last week I have had the headache and neck pain is much worse radiating from the back of my head (where the two bones at the back of the head are) to my shoulders. The headache seems to be worse in the morning when I wake up and is not a constant headache. It comes and goes during the day but is at worse in the mornings and at night. I also feel nauseous a lot of times not sure if it could be related to the headache or not. The neck pain is also more like a burning type of pain. The pain gets worse when I yawn. If I touch the space between the two bones at back of my head it starts hurting. When i also turn my head far to right/left i feel pain in my shoulder area. I can’t really think of any other symptoms I might have. I have done an MRI from my neck 2 years ago and a CT scan from my head (no dye was used). They both came back normal. I’m very worried about having a brain tumor. Does it sound like a brain tumor or could I just be suffering from tension headaches and tight neck muscles?
Dear Friend,
MRI scan would be the best method of investigation, for diagnosing the present condition.
Till that time , please apply a collar, so that it gives a temporary support to the neck muscles and doesn't irritate them or causes pain.
So please update me , about the MRI results, before i give further opinion.
Regards
update: just thought i should give an update. The two bones at the back of my head (behind my ear) hurt too. When i press on them it starts hurting and some spots are worse to touch. The headache has been better, i have had 2 days this week without headache which seems like an improvement. I'm very worried about having a brain tumor but the people around me all say it could be due to the way i sleep, or sit behind the laptop. No one is giving any other diagnosis
I suffered the same pain with severe pressure in my neck and head.  They did a cervical MRI and found nerve root cysts which cause head pressure.  They are VERY rare, but a MRI is the way to go.
A related discussion, neck pain, headache, weakness in arm was started.