Brain Tumors Expert Forum
Meningioma

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to brain tumors, such as: Causes, Chemotherapy, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments-Other.

Meningioma

My grandfather had a meningioma diagnosed in 1995 - it was considered tiny. Within 5 years it had grown to a size that absolutely required surgery. Is this considered a fast growing meningioma? I've read that usually they are slow growing like over 15 to 20 years. Can you tell me what's considered an agressive tumor and would my grandfather's be considered an aggressive one?

Thank you for your time.
I am sorry to hear about your grandfather.  In general, meningiomas are usually benign slow growing tumors.  However, some are more aggressive and will have histological features that will suggest this.  Besides a fast growth, I would ask the doctors what they saw when they looked at his tumor under  a microscope to see if there were aggressive features.
I was diagnosed with a meningioma last year.  It too was considered tiny (6mm).  My doctor told me it was insignficant at the time and recommended a follow up MRI in 1 year.  He informed me that these types of tumors will grow slowly over long periods of time (I am 34 with a lot of life left in me), if at all My sister who works in the medical field urged me to get a second opinion as in her experience these are often diagnosed, but are left untreated or unwatched due to size until it is causing problems and in some cases causing permanate damage.  I took her advice and I have been getting check monthly as my insignificant meningioma is now 12 mm.  Still small but doubled in size in less then 6 mos.
Wow, so glad to hear your sister insisted on getting a second opinion. It is so helpful when you have someone in the family that's in health care. Can I ask what kind of testing you are doing each month? Is it by MRI? My grandfather for his own reasons decided early on not to have surgery and when they did go in the tumor had grown to a large size and rather quickly from what I can gather. Have you asked your doctors if this doubling in size is considered fast? I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor and an aneurysm - both also considered insignificant by the docs I've seen in person. And you are so right these things do go untreated or without some sort of follow up plan and people end up with bigger problems. That was my one issue with the first doctors that I saw - they didn't want to set up any plan for follow up care- they wanted me to walk away and forget about it. Kind of throws preventative care out the window when you do that, eh. Thanks so much for your response.
It is always good to be proactive regarding our health.  I was diagnosed w/meningioma in 9/01 (2.6 x 2.2 x 1.0 cm) in the brain stem which affected my cranial nerve 5 (trigeminal) also nerve vii an viii. I underwent gamma knife in 1/2002. I have had many problems since. Had to go on large doses of steroids for over 9 months because of the headaches which resulted in my adrenal glands shutting down. I was diagnosed w/epilepsy in 2005 which had previously been treated as "anxiety attacks" for 2 years. I had no symptoms of the tumor except mild left sided facial tingling.. But in the last 6 - 7 months I have begun to have symptoms. HA's, trigeminal nerve pain.  Despite the tumor shrinking after Gamma Knife (2 x 2 x .6cm) After seeing 2 neurosurgeons it has been determined that the tumor is growing again at a slow pace (thankfully).  But because of the location (next to so many nerves) I am having what I would decribe as significant symptoms. I was told that if it continues to grow, because I am only 49 it is very likely that I will have to have surgery at some point. Don't hesitate to ask, ask and ask your MD any question you might have!!