Brain Tumors Expert Forum
Pituitary Microadenoma

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to brain tumors, such as: Causes, Chemotherapy, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments-Other.

Pituitary Microadenoma

I recently had an MRI that showed a small 1-2 mm pituitary microadenoma. The MRI was finally ordered after I've suffered from amenorrhea for about 5 yrs.  Most M.D.'s just speculated that the amenorrhea was just due to low weight and exercise.  I don't think my tumor is secretory - but rather non-secreting.  My only abnormal labs so far have been low estrodial, LH, FSH.  I feel pretty good overall as far as my health is concerned.  

My questions are:  Is the size of this tumor considered to small to operate?  And is the "watch and wait" approach good advice if I have at least partially functioning pituitary function?  I'm concerned of making things worse with surgery when I feel relatively well at this point in my life- but I'm also concerned that not recieving early treatment will complicate things later on.  And is it possible for pituitary microadenomas to shrink or go away on their own (without treatment)?

Thanks for the input!  I've seen a couple of endocrinologist, but they are always too rushed to answer questions & don't seem to be taking this too seriously (as it's very small).
The previous comments are right.  I suggest that you see a pituitary specialist.  If you are near Hopkins, we have an endocrinologist who is dedicated to pituitary lesions named Dr. Roberto Salvatori is you're looking for someone.
I don't know if surgery would be the right option or not, there are a number of factors.  I personally had a pituitary macroadenoma removed 13 yrs ago.  I have since had regrowth and currently am being treated medicinally for a 1-2 cm prolactin producing macroadenoma.  The difference this time is it is not pressing on the optic nerve and I am not trying to get pregnant.

The most important thing you can do for yourself is find pituitary specialists in endocrinology, neurosurgery and opthamology.  A good source of information, including a list of pituitary specialists is the Pituitary Network Association (www.pituitary.org).  

And regardless of the issue, pituitary or other, don't settle for a doctor that doesn't have time for you or seems disinterested.  Get the care you deserve.
I will echo what sunbeamin said, make sure you have doctors who have extensive expereince with pituitary tumors and have time to answer questions. Peace of mind comes with anwered questions and at least knowing a plan has been established for future care. I have a 5 mm microadenoma along with a couple of cysts that measure 2.5 mm. Mine is being watched though I will be going for another opinion at some point. From all the reading I've done usually if the tumor is as small as yours they do a wait and watch approach. I've been told the risk of surgery is too high with it being as small.

That's a good question about pit tumors going away on their own. I'd be curious to see what the answer is to that. You can msg me if you'd like. I am on the wait and see plan for now :-)

All the best.
Thank you for the advice- I apprciate it very much!!  I am still waiting to hear back about my labs- and it's hard not too feel glum overall.  I just wish I could be more positvie.  I will seek out another opinion if I don't agree with the next recommendation.

Again thanks!!
A related discussion, pituitary tumor was started.
A related discussion, Pituitary microadenoma was started.