Brain Tumors Expert Forum
Reason for swelling of the left-side of the brain only

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to brain tumors, such as: Causes, Chemotherapy, Diagnosis, Genetic Factors, Quality of Life, Radiation Therapy, Research, Risk Factors, Surgery, Symptoms, Treatments-Other.

My 5 year old grandaughter is in the Hershey Medical Center.  Her symtoms were extreme headaches, and she would place her hands on both sides of her face.  MRI found a spot on the right side of her brain and swelling on the left side.  They have placed a drainage tube in her head but the test results have not returned yet.  MRI today still showed spot on right side and swelling on the left side.  Dr.'s are considering biopsy of spot on the right side which they thought may have been just fluid before inserting brain tubing.  
It sounds like your child has a complex history.  Would you mind telling me what they mean by swelling?  Did they say she had too much fluid (i.e. trapped ventricle or hydrocephalus)?  Also, can you tell me more about the spot?  Do they think it's a mass or a fluid collection?  Thank you.
A related discussion, Helpless was started.