Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Brain mets question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Brain mets question

I've posted before about my daughter and the help, support and info from here was greatly appreciated.  I have a kind of stupid question.  She just told me that the way the Dr. described her brain mets was comparing her brain to a watermelon.  He said her tumors were in the "white part" of the melon......I'm assuming the pink would be brain tissue and the green would be the skull.  I was sick and throwing up the day of her appt and couldn't go with her.  I'm trying to figure out if that would be the meninges???  If so do they always get a sample of cerebral spinal fluid to test or because of the breast cancer they just assume that it's brain mets?  They are doing 13 courses of whole brain radiation which she finishes tomorrow actually.  She seems to be doing better with no headaches and her personality seems more like "her".  She seemed to be distant for the last 6 weeks before this diagnosis......not sure if the tumors had anything to do with it or not.  I also received the MRI report and it states:

"Large lobulated lesion is present in the left frontoparietal area measuring 5.5 x 5 x 4cm in size.  Surrounding edema causes effacement of frontal horn of left lateral ventricle with midline shift to the right side approximately 1cm.  There is no herniation.  1.3cm size lesion is present in the left parietal area close to center sulcus.  Two lesions are present in the left occipital lobe measuring 3 x 2.5 x 2cm and 1cm in size.   Mild surrounding edema is present.  2 x 2.3cm size lesion is present in the right posterior parietal area.  Findings are consistent with multiple metastasis.  Remaining areas and subarachanoid spaces are normal.  Pituitary gland, brainstem, posterior fossa, CP angle cistern are normal

IMPRESSION:  Large lesion in the left frontoparietal area causes mass effect and midline shift to the right side measuring 1cm and there is no herniation present"

If anyone can shed some light on what some of this means other than the obvious that there are 5 measureable lesions it would be greatly appreciated!

Chris
Hi, this will be short as I learned practically nothing from my own journey through brain radiation. (And I don't think the doctors knew that much;i.e. they couldn't distinguish on a follow up MRI between possible tumor and/or scar tissue.)

But I was told that the radiation will still be actively working for two weeks following the treatments, and thereby still treating/healing/whatever.

KAT
Hi again,

I'm glad to hear that the radiation seems to be helping your daughter. Just reducing some of the edema  (swelling)  should bring some relief of her symptoms.

I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers...

bluebutterfly