Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Breast cancer Vs Ovarian cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Breast cancer Vs Ovarian cancer

hi doctor ,  

Could you please give me a bit of information as which cancer is more severe is it Ovarian Cancer 3C or Breast Cancer 3C ? which cancer has a higher 5 year survival percentage and what are the recurrence statics for these cancers in comparasion stage remaining constant( 3C ) ? usally in ovarian cancer if even few lymph nodes are involved they say the prognosis is poor , but generally in breast cancer a lot of lymph nodes are usally involved, what is the reason for this statement ?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  Breast cancer and ovarian cancer are two very different and distinct disease entities and are not really comparable even if they are of the same stage.  This is because there are so many factors other than the stage, which determines severity and lethality in breast and ovarian cancer.  For example, increased levels of the human epidermal growth factor receptor Her-2 is a big factor in determining a poorer prognosis and more severe disease in breast cancer.  But it is not a prognostic factor at all in ovarian cancer.  Nor is there a molecule of comparative prognostic significance in ovarian cancer.

I suppose that in terms of absolute lethality, breast cancer is the more severe disease.  It causes nearly 400,000 deaths in the United States yearly, compared to around 15,000 deaths per year for ovarian cancer.
my wife is an ovarian cancer stage IIIC, she was diagnosed in 2002.In remmission for 3yrs, and being treated again for a possible recurrence. Her CT'S are negative but because her CA125 showed a trend going up, and she had mild enlargemente of retroperitoneal nodes they are giving her doxil and she's responding very well. She is doiing great and in feb/12 she makes 5yrs.
The piont i'm trying to make ovarian vs breast,  breast ca when it comes back is  much more agressive,and it accounts for almost 90% of bone metastasis. For some reason not generalizing this cancer becomes refractory and does not respond to any treatment.Then again I never believe in statistics and in reality there are alot of new "targerted medications", that go directly and fight the DNA of tumors suppressing their angiogenesis, or way of growing by blocking the tumors ability to multiply and metatisize.
I encourage everyone to be very "stress free, and stay away from sugar", after all cancer are our own cells, that fall undetected by our inmune system and start multiplying in a disorderly fashion. If we can educate our inmune system into recognizing these malignant cells eventually like that winning the battle against CANCER!!!!!!!