Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Breast cancer and pneumonia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Breast cancer and pneumonia?

I was first diagnosed with breast cancer in '08. I beat it the first time, but it returned as stage 4 metastatic in my lung.  I was diagnosed with pneumonia ths week. Was this due to a compromised immune system (I very rarely have colds/flu)? How contagious am I?  I am treating it as I would a very bad cold: antibiotics, bed rest, fluids, light, nutritious foods.  What should my most urgent concerns be?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there!
In stage IV metastases the cancer has spread to other organs of the body. The most common signs of lung metastases are: shortness of breath and dry cough. A part of the lung may be surgically removed if the cancer is confined to one area. However, in most cases, the cancer has spread itself throughout the lung and is more effectively treated by chemotherapy or other anticancer drugs. A decreased immunity can make a person susceptible to infections. It is essential to differentiate whether it is pneumonia or pulmonary edema or pulmonary embolism or secondaries in the lung. It can be differentiated based on the clinical symptoms, response to antibiotics and radiological findings. A lung CT can help differentiate. It is best to discuss your concerns with the treating physician. Hope it helps.
Do keep us posted.
Take care and regards!
Thank you, doctor for your help and information.  The pneumonia seems to be almost completely cleared up.  I still have a cough and extreme fatigue, but my oncologist said those symptoms would linger for some time.

Thank you again,

MB McDade