Breast cancer and pneumonia?
I was first diagnosed with breast cancer in '08. I beat it the first time, but it returned as stage 4 metastatic in my lung.  I was diagnosed with pneumonia ths week. Was this due to a compromised immune system (I very rarely have colds/flu)? How contagious am I?  I am treating it as I would a very bad cold: antibiotics, bed rest, fluids, light, nutritious foods.  What should my most urgent concerns be?
Hi there!
In stage IV metastases the cancer has spread to other organs of the body. The most common signs of lung metastases are: shortness of breath and dry cough. A part of the lung may be surgically removed if the cancer is confined to one area. However, in most cases, the cancer has spread itself throughout the lung and is more effectively treated by chemotherapy or other anticancer drugs. A decreased immunity can make a person susceptible to infections. It is essential to differentiate whether it is pneumonia or pulmonary edema or pulmonary embolism or secondaries in the lung. It can be differentiated based on the clinical symptoms, response to antibiotics and radiological findings. A lung CT can help differentiate. It is best to discuss your concerns with the treating physician. Hope it helps.
Do keep us posted.
Take care and regards!
Thank you, doctor for your help and information.  The pneumonia seems to be almost completely cleared up.  I still have a cough and extreme fatigue, but my oncologist said those symptoms would linger for some time.

Thank you again,

MB McDade
I have a very close friend who has Stage IV breast cancer where the cancer has spread to back and lungs.  Two major hospitals have informed her that unfortunately they have done all they can.  She refuses to continue taking her previously prescribed medications or morphine. She is currently hospitalized with diagnosis of pneumonia for 5 days now.  I went online myself to see if there was something, anything that would be helpful at this point. That's where I found your site. Is there anything else that can be done at home or facility that would provide longevity for her life?  She is only 38 years old.

Ms Vees
Hello Doctor,
My mother was diagnosed by BC sept 2012, she was HER + and stage II,  2lump each 2,5 cm and one lymph was involved. she had chemotherapy for a cycle of 4,5 months, then mastectomy and post radiation. then Tamoxifen. after treatment was done her oncologist didn't order any pet scan, as the pathology report was cancer free. after couple months (3 ), she had pain in legs which went through all the leg, her oncologist told it is arthritis since she had history of knee pain before starting BC treatment. We were spending all time visiting Orthoped, Rhuematologist and gynecologist since she had severe pain in lower back. in jun the CA 27-29 was 60, and her doctor told it is cause of inflammation of arthritis! again in july increased to 89! until end of Aug 2014 due to sever pain that didn't go away by any of pain killers, at ER of other hospital she had pelvic scan and it was that time they found out cancer in bones.
I have to mention as per my insist  she had bone scan in July 2014, and the result was no lesion just insufficient fracture and uptake in bone at hip area! neck x-ray was normal!
it is couple of days that she had PET SCAN and the result is terrible: cancer in sacrum, hip bones, lower back, neck ,and liver: there are 2 tumor highly active 3 cm in liver and 20 small ones. they told us due to tumor in neck, she is in risk of paralyzing. while they do not know at this though situation they have to do radiation first or start xeloda? other problem is that she has headache and because there is a tissue expander with a piece of metal in that, they can not do brain MRI. please advise how the treatment can be done and what would be her survival? she is 65 now and menopause.