Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Breast cancer stage 3a, possibly now in my organs & bones.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

I have been recently diagnosis with breast cancer in November of this year, found a pucker then a lump 2.5 cm to be exact, and dx with dcis, idc, and everything has gone so fast up until this point. I had my biopsies x 4 done, 2 surgeries in the last 28 days and yet another to come in a couple of weeks to have an mastecomy. My first surgery was and partical mastectomy, lumpectomy, and not planned but an axiallary dissection. second removal of dcis and remove cancer of some more outer margins, there has been so much taken out, all the margins keep coming back postive, including the sential node along with 4 out of 10 lymph nodes, fed by hormones, esterogen and progresterone. her 2 negative.

I am a young parent as I have said before on this site, but it seems that the onocologist seems to think that because these 4 lymph nodes came back positive he gave me the first the death talk and how cancer is a killer right after intoducing him self. He offered no hope, I even asked if he was preparing me for the worse and exspecting the best, he said no this is just what this is as he explained it, he wasnt being mean at all, and even hugged me, but I think he is basically thinking because they think i had this for a year or two there is no hope for me.  I did think breast cancer was curable up to this point, but he seems to think that the cancer which has metasized. from my breast to my underarm with the 4 nodes, that it very well is likely that it is in my organs and bones.

I am in stage 3a he says for now but if it is like he thinks that stage will be increased of course, per the test results, I have this port placed, and there was not even no talk of starting the chemo or the radiation unless this test show that this cancer is microscopic, the test are pet, ct scan, and a bone scan.

I have thought I could defeat this, I have even been looking for way to search for natural cures, but I am at the point to whats the use, I have been pretty positive about this whole thing up until now, and it seems now that the test and the day of the results cant come fast enough.

I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has been though similar, or know of anyone whose been though similar who can help shed some light on this, and offer me some hope? any feed back or responses will be greatly appreciated......

Sincerely,
Christine
I forgot to add not sure if this important or not, as I am still learning about all of this, that I was also told by my onc that the cancer is intermediate aggressive, and that I am considering not having the mastectomy if the cancer comes back in my organs & bones, I will certainly talk this though with my doctors before I make any decisions but I was thinking what is the use of having more cut, if the met is this bad. Also I have a second opinion set up with a Komen surgeon cancer center affliate, should I still even bother to go to this appt after hearing all that I have? My surgeon says I have to stop reading so much into to this, but I cant help wanting to learn more about what is going on with my breast cancer...
I was restaged from 3 to 4 in a months time.  Get your second opinion.  Shame on the oncologist for being so negative so early in this battle.  Even though I'm stage 4 with bone & soft tissue mets, my oncologist (indeed all 4 oncologists I saw before deciding on treatment) have not been so negative.  I had 16 of 23 lymph nodes positive.  Though I had planned on a mastectomy, when the mets were discovered, I have postponed that for now.  Also have a lot of EIC/DCIS
I am sorry to hear about what you are going though and thank you for responding to my post, I am going to go for my second opinion to see what this other doctor has to say. As far as the mastectomy I am still not sure if I want to postpone this or have it done? I am still learning as I go so I guess I make that decision when I know what the results are from all of these test. I just know I am trying to maintain positive even though one of my close friends lost her sister to breast cancer and then hearing what the onc had to say didnt offer me any hope.
Hi.
I admire your courage in facing this problem.  You should always keep a positive outlook in life, even in times like this.
What are the results of your examination?
Your next treatment will depend on these results.
You can always seek second opinion from another oncologist.
Keep us updated please.
Good luck.
dear christine i am also a very young cancer patient 38 i am 2 yr survivor,i have breast cancer metastisised  3 masses in rt breast and large mass in chest wall,18 lymph nodes, my dr says that i am and can be cured i really believe that fighting, staying on top of drs and attitude and prayer all are very important. i think you have a better outcome than u think and shoul see another dr.i have a favorite book called cancer as a turning point by lawrence le sham. good luck happy new yr. jay
I too have been diagnosed with breast cancer mid December, unfortunately due to the fact that a year ago I had a mammogram and a scan and they said the 11mm lump in my r/breast was only a cyst so I had no reason for concern as they only wanted to see me in a year time.  The tumour is now 10cm I thought they would just aspirate it as it was only a cyst that was large possibly due to hormone changes as I am now 42yrs old, the shock of hearing that it was a solid mass was a HUGE shock and then after a biopsy that it was confimed infiltrating Lobular Carcinoma was really unbelievable.  Well both my husband were living in New Zealand at the time on a 3 year work permit and were still busy putting together a medical insurance plan, obviously too late for that now.  We flew back to South Africa in a matter of days for my 1st chemo treatment here and have friends selling up lock stock and barrel back in NZ.  Our lives changed in a flash, both being ex paramedics we know the drill about various health issues but unfortunately were mislead from the word go.  No use crying over spoilt milk! We are just getting on with what we have to do and yes only by God's grace have we had the strength to fight this inbetween all the other distractions.  Well I have stage 3 and some swollen lymph nodes, the first blood tests showed that it had not metastised to other organs although the tumour markers were very high, my estrogen hormone receptors also came back positive and the rest negative.  It is still very early days and I am trying to do a quick crash course on my condition through the internet which sometimes can really be overwhelming and very scary.  My next chemo is on the 11th Jan 2008 and they will take blood to check the white blood cells before treatment.  I am very blessed to have HUGE support from my loved ones but they too are going through various emotions and sometimes can get difficult.  I am staying strong for myself and them too and trying to hold everything together, fortunately I am a person of strong character.  I have started takin Indol-3-carbinol to block the estrogen that is feeding my cancer as I feel I have to do something before I see the Oncologist on the 11th, she never saw all the medical reports when she treated me as my husband stil had them with him in New Zealand and could only get on a flight 3 days later.  Funny how all your values change in life when something like this happens to you, somehow having lost jobs our home full of furniture and transport seems not so important anymore.  We have a very uncertain future sleeping over wherever we can and using other people's transport whenever available and no income.  It is good to be alive!!!!! I am not sure how this forum works as I just happened to come across it however should anyone want to mail me my address is ***@****. God bless you all! Connie
Hi.
I understand what you are going through.
From what you posted, it seems that you have not undergone surgery.
You are probably undergoing neoadjuvant chemotherapy in the hope of shrinking the breast mass so that you can have an easier surgery later on.  
How was your first chemotherapy session?  
Did you notice any decrease in the size of your breast mass after your first session?
I agree with you having a positive outlook in life.  
Good luck on your treatment.
Christine -

What was the result of your scans??   I had many, many more positive nodes than you, and my initial brain & PET scans came back negative.  However, scans are just a snapshot of a moment in time, and I constantly worry about the possibility of micromets that will eventually be large enough to show up on scans.  Basically, disease spread.   I had these tests a year ago, but my onco doesn't do routine scans...

Also, redmal said she was restaged from 3 to 4 in a months time.  It was my understanding that the first staging stands... it would still be stage 4 with mets.  

My mother is also a Victim of STAGE 3A Breast Cancer, shes admitted in Philippine Veterans Hospital, the doctor thier was realy positve out of my m0ms condition, they take out the tumor from her breast and cut out the affected nodes under her armfit, as of now the doctor didn't give us any sign that there is no hope, that chemo therapy and other medication can cross my mothers life into successful recovery,. I think you should try to other hospital first take another openion or i can suggest you try in Philippine Veterans Hospital in Quezon City,  
WELL I AM VERY SORRY FOR YOUR CONDITIONS I HOPE YOU ALL WILL GET WELL AND WILL LIVE LONGER BUT READING VIA INTERNET I HAVE FOUND THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION.I KNOW ITS JUST USELESS BUT MAY BE THERE IS ONE PERCENT CHANCE SO THESE ARE SOME REMEDIES FOR CANCER PATIENTS
1.APRICOT KERNEL IT CONTAIN POTTASSIUM CYNAIDE BUT IN INHERT FORM SO CYNAIDE CAN KILL CANCER.
2.GREEN TEA, AND YOU CAN FIND MANY THINGS ON INTERNET
HANG IN THERE AND DONOT LOSE HOPE YOU ALL WILL BE FINE..
I just lost my mum to Cancer.. unfortunately i live in Wales she lived in Hungary! There are indeed a lot of things that can slow cancer down! B17 vitamin (kernel) theres a drink called ALVEO wich is very good and made of 25 herbs(tastes like mouth wash but i have seen discarge forms of people who drank it, and they cancer was either gone comletely or shrank a lot) and eastern teas, asparagus cooked+mashed 2 tbs am and 2 tbs pm, unfortunatelly my mum didnt belive in these thing and from here i couldnt help her too much..but i really hope i can help some of you i really do! Best of luck to you all! Reguards Csilla
I have been through the mammogram, 2 ultra-sounds (breast and armpit) and finally an MRI.  At first the pathology report said 1.2 - 2 cm in size, but after the MRI today, I was told it was actually 10 cm - much larger than they anticipated.  I am to meet w/the surgeon again tomorrow (2nd time and 2nd surgeon) to change our original treatment plan.  Depending on the nodes (have been biopsied underarm only) while I was originally staged 1 or 2 it appears I may have jumped to stage 3 --- Any ideas?  My original family practitioner hit it right on the head --- mammogram  showed suspicious area (different from last year) and suggested I skip the ultrasound and go directly to MRI ---- Perhaps he's the smartest of all????  DKM