Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
CA 15-3
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

CA 15-3

My wife was diagnosed with stage lll breast cancer one year ago. She has had surgery chemo and rads. In January she had her first tumor markers. The 27.29 and the CEA were both normal. The CA 15-3 was at 30. Retested it after 3 weeks and it was at 34.

Please let me know how you would interpret this. Are there specific items that provide a false positive result. She has had bilateral mast. and hysterectomy. She is on Paxil and Herceptin.

Thanks
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Does anyone have any input?

Thanks!
Blank
Hi.
CA 15-3 is elevated in patients with breast, ovarian, prostate, and lung cancer.  Thus, this is not specific for breast cancer alone.  For breast cancer, it has a 75% correlation with measurable disease, and can be used to monitor disease that cannot be measured after treatment.
Elevated levels of serum tumor markers should always be correlated clinically.
Blank
Does this mean that an elevated test result for breast cancer metastisis is correct 75% of the time? 25 % false positive?

Would a PET/CT be the best followup?

Thanks again.
Blank
Hi.
CA 15-3 has a 75% positive correlation with measurable disease.  This means that it can detect breast cancer 75% of the time.
Perhaps the best diagnostic modality to follow-up for possible recurrence would be a PET scan.
Blank
I have completed treatment for Breast Cancer 1 yr. ago.
My most recent CA15.3 was 38 ( This was an increase from 22   3 months earlier)
I have had a cortisone injection (long acting) to my knee about 10 days prior to this test.
Is there a correlation between steroids & elevated levels of this tumor marker?
Blank
I have completed treatment for Breast Cancer 1 yr. ago.
My most recent CA15.3 was 38 ( This was an increase from 22   3 months earlier)
I have had a cortisone injection (long acting) to my knee about 10 days prior to this test.
Is there a correlation between steroids & elevated levels of this tumor marker?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...