Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Dumbbell shaped lesion
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dumbbell shaped lesion

I have a left breast mass in a dumbbell shape which did not reveal or mammogram or ultrasound,  but did present on MRI.  It is palpable and located at approx 1 o'clock in the upper quadrant of my breast.  I am 46 and did have a benign lumpectomy in 2005 for a mass in nearby region of same breast.  
Are dumbbell shaped lesions more indicative of anything?  What are the questions that I should ask my radiologist concerning characteristics that she sees on the MRI.  I am meeting with her tomorrow and want to educate myself with as much knowledge as possible.  Also, will a needle biopsy be definitive about what this mass is?
Thank you to anyone who can help me.

Dona
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Usually a mammogram is used for screening for breast cancers. If not picked up by mammogram, how it was  visible on MRI? Irregularity of the lesion and increased blood flow are two characteristics, which are present in malignant lesions. It could scar tissue from prior surgery. An FNAC can show evidence of malignant cells. But sometimes a biopsy may be needed to make a confirmatory diagnosis. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank