Going forward with Treatment
I need to have a third port put in for cancer treatment for the third time.  The first time it was in my left shoulder. The second time it was in my right shoulder.  The second one caused blood clots in my right arm that had to be treated.
I need to know if it would be possible to place a third one in my body and if so where could it go and how likely would blood clots occur being that it happened with the second one?   I take asprin and garlic for blood thinning and no longer am on prescription blood thinners.
Hi. If the surgeons can't find another site near your shoulder, the port can be placed on the inner aspect of your upper arm.  Blood clots do occur as a complication of this procedure.  Various studies have reported the occurrence of clotting in venous ports from a low of 3% to a high of 17%.  But if the port is correctly installed and is periodically flushed with blood thinners (e.g. heparin), it usually does not clog for the duration of the chemotherapy.