Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Harmone blues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Harmone blues

Hello, I am 57 years old. I was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer in 2009. I had a mastectomy (left) in Sept 2009 and have completed chemotherepy and radiation treatments.  I began hormone therapy in April 2010. I take the hormone pill Femara once daily (for five years) and the side effects from Femara are awful. I experience most of the side effects and my oncologist says that the benefits of Femara outweight the side effects, in that, taking Femara for 5 years will lessen my risk of the cancer returning. I asked my oncologist about possibly taking another hormone pill but was advised that I will benefit the most with Femara.  Any suggestions?
Questions in this forum are answered by survivors and other volunteers generally not identified as medical professionals. We are unable, therefore, to provide an opinion regarding a specific medical question concerning your  treatment.  

It would be best for you to discuss this question further  with your oncologist and possibly other members of your health care team. If you don't feel comfortable with your oncologist's recommendation, you might consider seeking a second-opinion consultation with another oncologist.

Best wishes...
The medication sha904 is taking is not a hormone pill, it is hormonal therapy prescribed by her oncologist to suppress the estrogen which could fuel her ER+ cancer to spread or recur.
I am a little late in seeing this.

sha904, I know how horrible these drugs can be, and I was not able to tolerate Arimidex and Aromasin either? Femara was the least bad but I quit.

I think your oncologist needs to listen to you, and how does he know the side effects are worth it? I doubt that anyone saying such must surely have no experience with the drug him/herself.

Of course you could try one of the others, although I am not sure you would like them any better.  But it is worth trying, especially if someone cares about your best benefit.

I advise you to speak to the doctor and tell him no if it;s just too bad to tolerate, and if he is not agreeable to that, please have another opinion. It's not only about Femara but about any other treatment in the future, and only you know if the benefit is worth the risks, or a life feeling absolutely lousy.

KATRIN
Thank you.
I lost my mother to breast cancer on Nov 4th. She was a beautiful woman and i miss her so much it hurts. My heart goes out to you and your family and i truely hope all turns out well. Please remember to not give up hope and you have one more person on your side.

Praying for you.
Thank you very much kev543.  I too lost my mother in 2004 (complications from a stroke), and this may sound strange but I remember more of her being alive then of her being dead. Her spirit lives on in me and my familly and the lessons that she taught us throughout the years keeps her alive. As far as the cancer, no I will never give up hope, I trust God's plan.

I too will keep you in my prayers. Take care and don't be sad.