Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Inhaled vs systemic steroids for radiation pneumonitis?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Inhaled vs systemic steroids for radiation pneumonitis?

Would anyone know if it would be beneficial to use inhaled steroids (such as Flovent?) for a recurrence a radiation pneumonitis, along with the systemic steroids? If so, is there a preferred one to use?  Thank you.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi.  There are no clinical trials which test the effectiveness of inhaled steroids for the treatment of radiation pneumonitis.  But there have been some case reports which indicate that inhaled steroids might be effective.  A report in the Southern Medical Journal suggests that 220 micrograms of inhaled fluticasone given at 2-3 puffs twice a day for 18 months controlled the symptoms of radiation pneumonitis and allowed discontinuation of the oral steroids.  Here's the link to the article:  http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/455711_1
Blank
i had radiation pneumonitis right after 30 days radiation theraphy.it has been 2 and a half months now. follow up xrays showed fibrosis of my right lungs. what else should i do besides incentive spiromotry? do i continue to take oral steroids? is there any study for any drug that may be of help.thank you.
Blank
962875_tn?1314213636
I am sorry you have been left with this problem resulting from your radiation treatments!

In this forum, questions are answered by BC survivors and other volunteers not generally identified as health professionals.  I think you would get better, and personally appropriate, information about treatment for your lung problem from your radiation oncologigst or a pulmonologist. (If you still want an Internet answer, you might try posting in the Lung Disorders Expert Forum.)

I hope you are doing well aside from this serious concern.

Best wishes...
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank