Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Is Chemo must post MRM

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Is Chemo must post MRM

My Mom is 71, Hypertensive and diabetic on control and treatment. She underwent MRM post diagnosed with duct ca. GR111, RB score 3+3+3=9, 3/15 nodes show, p2 T2 N1 Mo, ER, PR and CerB2 = All Negative.

She is also down with osteoporosis and is taking Bonista injections every day for the last 5months.

The doc is recomending Chemo now. My mom is really worried.

Is Chemo must for the above readings or can this be managed thru oral pills.
Naturally, your mom is worried, going into an 'unknown' like cancer and which is scary. I think everyone is scared with this diagnosis and then the more information we get, and the more we learn, well, in some ways it gets easier.

She eill probably really need chemo with her diagnosis, Chemo also comes in oral form but I don't know how appropriate this is for your mother, and often like in her case, different chemo agents are combined. She may also need radiation, even with a mastectomy, but this needs to be discussed with her doctor.

She will not receive hormonal treatment as she is not estrogen receptor positive,

The good news about chemotherapy is that it is not as bad as it used to be, and they have much better means of controlling nausea. I had stage 3 bc as well and 6 treatments three weeks apart and I never threw up.

Your mom should be OK even taking blood pressure medications. The only little tricky thing will be, most likely, as this is given with almost all chemo's, the steroid they will put in her IV to avoid allergic reactions to the therapeutic agent and something like Decadron will raise her blood sugars a lot. most likely this will only be a challenge for about 24 hours, but during this time she will have to check her blood sugars a lot, or adjust her insulin if she takes that.

Some chemo can also cause some bone pain and swelling in the legs, but  not everyone has a lot of problems with this, and not all chemo causes it.

Hope that helps a little. And tio get back to your most important question, your mom will surely benefit from chemotherapy, but that does not mean she has to do it?

Katrin
Chemo is important because of the aggressive grade of her tumor (Grade 3), the type of tumor (Triple negative), and because she has lymph node involvement.

If she, and/or you have questions about the doctor's recommendation for chemo, perhaps  she needs to schedule  a return visit to get a better understanding of her situation, and what the treatment would involve. Another approach would be to arrange a second opinion consultation if either of you have doubts about following the first oncologists's advice.

Best wishes...