Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Loosely Grouped Microcalcs Should I be Concerned

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

I had a needle core biopsy of the left breast May of 2007 which found proliferative duct hyperplasia and non proliferative breast change( duct ectasia and fibrosis) without atypia. Negative for carcinoma. Post biopsy followup with mammo and u/s done. I have had some dark greenish/brownish discharge both breasts (not a lot) since 2004 and had 2 abcesses in 2004 in left breast with 3 trips to the ER. I understand from reading that the discharge is common with the duct ectasia. Went for diagnostic mammo last week (surgeon orders it each time and sees me) and they did
numerous views, including magnification views...2 hours worth of pictures and bruises on my breast. Digital findings are: There are multiple bilateral widely scattered and occasionally loosely grouped microcalcifications. These are predominantly in the inferomedial aspect of both breasts. Many of these are new since the prior examination. Therefore, magnification views were performed. The magnification views show that many of the microcalcifications do layer out consistent with milk of calcium.  However, some do not.  Therefore, 6 month followup examination is recommended to assess for stability.  There is no definite evidence of malignant-type cacifications within either breast. This left breast has been a pain for several years now! And now the right one is joining in. Should I be concerned about this and is it ok to wait 6 months? Thanks so much for your advice. Regards-Leah
Tags: Birad 3
Hi Leah,  I see no reason not to wait the recommended 6 months for a follow-up mammogram. The calcifications are noted as loosely grouped and only need close observation to assess any change in appearance. The malignant type mentioned would be very closely grouped or clustered in definite patterns which is not true in this case.   Regards .....