Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Malignant Ascites Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Malignant Ascites Help

My mom had stage 4 breast cancer about 5 years ago she has had no signs of tumors but the cancer cells are still in her blood.  She just recently had horrible stomach pains we took her to hopsital and now shes diagnosed with Malignant Ascites which from what ive read the prognosis is very poor.  If anyone can give me information or past experience please let help I love my mother and I just want the best for her.
I am sorry you and your mom are going through this after 5 years of your mom being well.

From what I know from the few people who developed malignant Ascites, it is very, very serious. In their cases, the fluid was drained, but it tends to accumulate again, and the prognosis is not good.

Again, I am sorry, and maybe your mom is not 'usual', as nobody is a statistic.

Best, and please let us know what happens. Are they doing chemo?

Katrin
Yes they are doing chemo and we found a drug called removab that the doctor is looking in too, its more of a therapeutic drug but I hope with that and the chemo it will give her more time and hopefully there will be a cure soon.