Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
My friend has breast cancer + secondaries - information?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

I was wondering whether anyone could give me some information on the severity of my friend's condition? I don't like to ask too much as she is trying to stay positive and relying on her friends to help her feel normal when we meet up.

She was diagnosed with breast cancer in July, and it has spread via her lymph nodes to her spine and her liver. She is in the middle of Chemo, and is due to have a mastectomy once that is finished followed by radiotherapy. Apparently the secondaries are shrinking and there is no activity detected in her lymph nodes at the moment.

She is very positive about it all, but things I have read on the internet seem to imply that once cancer spreads to the liver the prognosis is pretty bleak. I wondered if this was the reality of the situation as I know the internet is full of scare mongering...

Can anyone set me straight please? I am so worried about her and it is occupying my thoughts a lot, but I can't talk to her about it, as she has enough to worry about.
It is certainly a very serious situation, but it sounds as though your friend's condition is responding to treatment.  That is good.  Her long-term prognosis, I do not know enough about and cannot address, but I have have seen people have years of very good life even after cancer has spread. Every cancer patient derives a huge amount of strength and support from her friends.  Rejoice with the good news and stay by her side through the tough news and live every day to the fullest.  Your friend is blessed to have you.  You may be able to talk to other friends or family members and eventually you will talk with your friend about anything and everything.  This is a heavy load for you, too, as a friend, you are a caregiver.  

When I was going through a very hard regimen of chemo, my motto was: adapt and/or endure; with laughter.  My friends brought me smiles (even when they were closer to grimaces) every day.  I wish you both well and am thinking of you.
Thank you for your message, it is very much appreciated.

I just want to do everything I can to help, but also have a full awareness of the long term implications, so I can steady myself to be there for her.

She has two very young children, which makes the situation worse.

Thank you for your thoughts, I am sorry that you have evidently been through some tough times yourself and I hope that you are still facing the world with smiles.

Smiles - you bet!  I am arranging my second mastectomy (preventative only) and planning a bra burning party to celebrate the end of my Herceptin treatments and an end to the need to wear a bra.  

But seriously, feel free to contact me or anyone else on this website and we will do all we can to help you, your friend and her family.  Every day that we have could be our last.  I am looking at the saying, "What are you waiting for?" with new meaning.  Bless you all.
Thank you :)

Hope the bra burning party goes well!