Need opinion
hi My mother has completed her 3rd chemotherapy and asked us to come again for 4th chemo. I asked the doctor is it necesary for chemotherapy. he said that he would do 2D cardiogram and suggest further.

I am confused that by the 2D cardiogram can we identify whether patient has cancer cells or not. further, can you suggest a test which would determine if there are any cancer cells present in her body.

please advice.

thank you.
Hello there!
Your mother is on chemotherapy and use of chemotherapeutic agents, particularly doxorubicin, trastuzumab is associated with a very high risk of cardiotoxicity.Use of monoclonal antibodies in breast cancer therapy also leads to cardiac dysfunction. These drugs affect the left ventricular ejection fraction of the heart. Your doctor might assess the LVEF of your mother’s heart through 2D echocardiography and advise treatment accordingly. A PET scan is indicated when there is a doubt that the cancer has spread. The picture is not finely detailed like a CT or MRI scan, but it provides helpful information about your whole body. Regarding other tests available to detect if the disease has travelled or not CT and MRI scans can be helpful but they are anatomic imaging modalities, which means that they look at the size and shape of organs and body structures while a PET scan is a metabolic imaging modality, which means it looks at cellular activity. PET scan imaging can show changes much earlier than other imaging tests like CT or MRI. Every case varies. The choice of treatment, scan, and timing of investigation all depends on the discretion of the treating doctor. You may discuss your concerns with the doctor.
Best wishes!