Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Pain after breast cyst aspiration

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Pain after breast cyst aspiration

I had a large cyst (4.5cm) aspirated about 3 weeks ago and I am still having discomfort in the exact location of the cyst.  I know is was drained completely because I watched it collaps and disappear on the ultrasound.  It almost feels like "phantom" pain.  Can you tell me please what could be the cause and if I should see my Doctor?  I don't feel the cyst at all.
hi puppylo,

that was a very large cyst you had. remember that these cysts have walls, and when your cyst was aspirated, only the fluid was removed. there still might be remnants of the cyst wall which still havent been completely absorbed by the body. also, there could still be slight soft tissue damage from the passage of the needle. right now you could take pain relievers if the pain gets too bad, or you could also apply warm compress to the area involved.

hope this helps
I FEEL YOUR PAIN IM GOING THROUGH THE SAME.

IM 25 YEARS OLD AND HAD MY 3RD CHILD IN MAY OF 2009. AFTER MY SON WAS ABOUT 2 MONTHS OLD I STOPPED BREASTFEEDING HIM. JULY 2009 I NOTICED A TINY LUMP IN MY BREAST BUT BY THE TIME I WAS GOING TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO SEE A DOCTOR, MY MEDICAID WAS CUT OFF. SINCE IT WAS CUT OFF I ENDED NOT GOING BECAUSE I COULDNT AFFORD IT AND JUST THOUGHT WELL MAYBE THE TINY LUMP WAS NOTHING. A MONTH PAST AND IT GREW LARGER AND LARGER.BY JANUARY THE LUMP IN MY BREAST TRIPLED IN SIZE AND CAUSE ONE OF MY BREAST TO GROW LARGER AND LARGER. WHEN I STARTED TO FEEL PAIN IN MY BREAST THATS WHEN I FINALLY WENT TO A DOCTOR. THEY DID A BREAST ULTRASOUND BUT JUST ASSUMED IT WAS AN ABCESS (abscess) AND GAVE ME MEDICATION AND SENT ME ON MY WAY. MARCH CAME THE LUMP AND MY BREAST GREW LARGER AND PAIN STARTED TO BECOME UNBEARABLE. IT GOT TO THE POINT TO WHERE I HAD TO WHERE A JACKET EVERY TIME I WENT TO WORK JUST SO PEOPLE COULDNT SEE IT. I FINALLY WENT TO A DIFFERENT DOCTOR AND HE ALSO THOUGHT IT WAS AN ABSCESS BUT WHEN HE ASPIRATED IT LIQUID CAME OUT A DIFFERENT COLOR THAN HE EXPECTED. TURNS OUT I HAD A SOFTBALL SIZED CYST IN MY BREAST. SINCE I COULDNT AFFORD TO GET IT REMOVED SO HE INSERTED A DRAINAGE TUBE IN MY BREAST TO KEEP IT DRAINED SO NOW I HAVE TO WHERE IT 24/7. SO NOW I STILL HAVE THE TUBE AND I CANT GET IT REMOVED TIL I CAN COME UP WITH 3 THOUSAND DOLLARS TO GET THE CYST SURGICALLY REMOVED. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME HE TALKED TO SEVERAL DOCTORS AND NONE OF THEM HAS SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT IN THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA. ILL KEEP YOU UP TO DATE ON THE STORY IF I GET ANYTHING DONE ABOUT THIS CYST.
i have just had a huge cyst removed to well drained i have more pain now than befour it s pretty bad pain hopeing it will go away soon . i have had those cysts for a year now i have been for 3 mamgrams but this is the only one av had removed up to now.