Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Pathology Report

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Pathology Report

Hi, my sister had a Mastectomy on 15th of April, and got her final pathology report. Doctor told her that she doesn’t need any further treatment and also medication after seeing her final pathology report. But I did not see her GENE test result in her report. Please explain me her condition and will it be OK, if she doesn’t take any treatments and medications. What are the chances of re occurrence? I read couple of postings for false negative. Her doctor performed the test in almost 100 places of the extracted mass.

FINAL DIAGNOSIS:

Lymph Node: Right-Sentinel Lymph node Biopsy Negative for Tumor (0/1)
Lymph Nodes Axilla, Right
Dissection: Negative for Tumor. No lymph node tissue is identified. Fibrofatty Breast      tissue with Psedudo/Ngiomatous Stromal Hyperplasia.
Tumor Location: Right Breast
Invasive Component: Negative
Intra Ductal Carcinoma: High grade, solid type, with necrosis, (Comedo necrosis)
Distance from closest margin: 3mm
Micro calcification: Present, associated with ductal carcinoma in site
Nipple: The large lactiferous ducts are involved by ductal carcinoma in situ.

Pathologic Tumor Stage: pTisNOMX

Estrogen Receptor (Clone 1D5)           Negative
Progesterone Receptor (Clone 1A6)    Negative

Your sister seems to have pre-invasive cancer and there is diffuse involvement. She then underwent a mastectomy, this should comprise adequate therapy. It would be important to monitor the other breast with mammography and clinical breast examinations.

The Gene test may be the oncotypeDX. This test is usually done for invasive breast cancer with positive Estrogen receptors (meaning estrogen responsive breast cancers), so the testing was not performed at all. Other testing would involve gene testing for breast cancer susceptibility genes (called BrCA1 and BrCA2), not all women are tested with this, only those who are deemed high-risk. The risk is evaluated by discussing personal and family history (Ethnicity included).

Stay positive.
Thank you Heinrik,

We do not have a family history of Breast Cancer", in fact any type of cancer in past 3 generations as far as I know. I don’t have any idea about the studies on Indian women Breast cancer. My sister is 35 year old Indian women with our any other complications. Gene test did not perform on her. DO you have any idea, why they did not perform that test? And also, I read in some web site saying that, after the Mastectomy the re occurrence place is the chest wall. Is it true?

She had an early menstruation at the age of 11 and got the 2nd pregnancy at the age of 32.

Thank You.

Genetic testing is not routinely performed and is never done without the consent of the patient.

There doesn’t seem to be a strong basis to do the test, could it be possible that it was requested by your sister? Try to talk to her and look for any documents she had to sign.

There are also laboratories that request permission to perform tests on samples for research purposes. This means, when new information becomes available, the sample taken from your sister may be used to investigate the role of the new information (diagnostic or treatment) for similar patient groups. IF this is the case, then you wouldn’t have any reports because the testing would be done at an undetermined future date, if and when a breakthrough arrives.