Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Post mastectomy-what now?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Post mastectomy-what now?

I was diagnosed with stage IIIa right invasive and dcis right breast cancer, ER-,PR-, HER2+. I had 6 cycles of TCH, with herceptin to continue for the remainder of a year. Last week I had a right modified radical mastectomy and a left simple mastectomy--margins clear, 24 nodes negative. Since I had radiation 16 years ago following a lumpectomy, I cannot have and more radiation. This present cancer blossomed in the 6 months between my routine mammos and ultrasounds....negative results in 12/10 and a real mess in 6/11. Having said all that, how can I stay on top of this, knowing my form of cancer is agressive and that there was NO pain of lumps felt before this diagnosis? It seems that waiting for a problem is irresponsible.
Hi there.

You mentioned you had a lumpectomy many years ago. What diagnosis did you have at that time and was it the right side too? Was that cancer also ER & PR negative and HER2 positive?

As you know, the over-expression of HER2 protein  means you've got an aggressive form of BC. Your oncologist will most likely have you get an MRI in 6 months followed by a PET scan 6 months later along with your regular visits to your oncologist for exams. I'm glad to hear you're getting the Herceptin.

Best wishes for a complete recovery.
I had DCIS in the right breast in 1995. I don't recall even hearing about ER,PR or HER2 back then, although I may have. I do not think I had the same cancer that I am dealing with now, though, because I did have 5 years of Tamoxifen, which is not appropriate for what I have now.
I guess that the fact I cannot have radiation, which would most probably have been done in this present case, plus the fact that my mammo and sono were both negative only 6 months before the same tests should not only DCIS but invasive DCIS, too, kind of makes me think that waiting 6 months for any diagnostic testing is too long...although, maybe I'm just on hyper-alert and freaking out a bit too much?
Thank you so much for replying,
You're not freaking out too much. I've got to tell you, that reaction will stay with you for many years to come. If something wierd is going on with my body you can bet I've been to the doctor and had it checked out. That reaction seems to go part & parcel with a breast cancer diagnosis.

You should have regular visits with your oncologist who will examine you thoroughly at each visit.

Did you have BRCA testing done by any chance?
Actually, I did, specifically because my mom is a breast cancer survivor, too. The BRAC testing came back negative, which is good to know, especially since I have a daughter, too.
Thank you for your encouraging words. You have helped me more than you know.
Blessings.