Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Reconstruction
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Reconstruction

I would like to know how delayed breast reconstruction (5 yr. survivor) affects overall health.
I wonder if it will lower my immunity or make cancer grow because of the new blood vessels that form after surgery.  
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,
The risks do not increase after breast reconstruction and the time gap between the surgery does not affect the overall survival rates too.
There are no documented reports about immunity being lowered.
But this needs to be discussed with your doctor too. Certain post surgical aspects will be expalined in detail by him/her.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Blank
326352_tn?1310997895
My reconstruction happened 18 months out from diagnosis and close to a year after radiation.  I had a tram flap done on my left breast.  I think that I did much better and the healing happened better because of the delay.  I was in better health and a better frame of mind than when I had the mastectomy.  

My plastic surgeon was very pleased with the outcome, said I was in his top percentile of folks with no complications whatsoever.  I only had to have the one surgery and recovered a day earlier than most patients.

See this as positive and go forth and get a new boob!  

Find a good surgeon, get lots of recommendations before you commit to a surgeon.

Best of luck!
Lisa
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703