Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Removal of Ovaries

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Removal of Ovaries

I was diagnosed with Cancer in August 2007 – then told it was stage 4 in September after a PET scan and multiple MRI’s.  
I am 51, pre-menopausal with Breast Cancer with Bone mets, ER& PR + and Her2 negative.  I am told this is favorable.  How favorable having cancer is is beyond me.

I have had a lumpectomy in August; they have put me on Tamoxifin (tamoxifen) and monthly Zometa treatments.   My follow-up (at 4 months) MRI & Mamo are good and the follow-up PET scan shows no real change.

I had had a hysterectomy about 10 years ago.   I have discussed with my oncologist about having the ovaries removed since the cancer is estrogen +.   He indicates it might or might not help.  He finally indicated if it could be done laproscopically then do it, otherwise not to since that would be more major of a surgery.  -  

Can anyone help me to decide if having this done could actually help my treatment or is it one of those things no one is really sure of?  Any information would be helpful.
I also asked about having my ovaries removed.  I was pre-menopausal stage III with 1 node positive, ER/PR +, HER-2-...and I agree with your comment about how that can be good!

Docs told me (2 oncs and an OB) that having the ovaries removed wouldn't do anything to increase chance of survival.  However, I've seen that some women take Lupron which in effect shuts down the ovaries chemically.  So, if it doesn't help, why do Lupron?

I'm going to keep asking this question, because I, like you, want to know if the cancer doesn't like estrogen, shouldn't you remove the estrogen producing glands in the body???

What is the Zometa for?  I'm on Tamoxifen with Effexor to fix the tamoxifen side effects.

I guess I'm still searching, even though all my docs are in agreement that I shouldn't.
Thanks for answering so fast.  

I had had Lupron when I had the histie because it was supposed to shrink the fibroids I was having trouble iwth - It didn't - So I think that is why they have not tried that on me.

The Zometa is a bio-phoshate which is supposed to help build up the bones where the mets are.  Usually there is only one day after the initial treatment that you have side effects - flu like symptoms- but I am strange I guess since I get them EVERY time they do it.  But I can survive the flu once a month if it works.
Yes, we can survive any side effect, if the drugs work!!!!

So here we are, ovaries and all....gotta love estrogen!!!!  NOT.

I hope you continue to do well.

I will tell you that at UAB where my onc treatments are continuing, they are doing research on the overall "health and life" of premenopausal women with breast cancer.  There are three roads they are comparing....tamoxifen with ovaries, tamoxifen without ovaries, and no ovaries with relofx (???))  forgot that drug's name, starts with an R I think I remember.  It's a 20 year study.  In 20 years we may know more!

Of course, the route that was randomly chosen for me was tamoxifen with ovaries.  Now I get menopause twice.  Poor hubby.

Lisa