Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Rising tumor markers
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Rising tumor markers

A tumor marker has been rising for two months. I have Stage 4 with bone mets. I was taking Zometa until a year ago, when my oncologist stopped it because it was destroying my jawbone. Since then, things have gone downhill. Lots of joint pain. I am concerned about the tumor markers though the oncologist is less so.
Hi there!
Usually when your tumor marker levels decrease it means that the cancer is responding to the therapy. An increased level indicates that the cancer is not responding to the treatment, and a change in treatment may be needed. Rising levels of tumor markers may be worrisome but certain noncancerous conditions can also cause a rise in their levels. If Zometa was affecting your jaw bone an alternative drug should be started. It is best to talk to your oncologist about your test results and discuss your concerns with him till you fully understand it. Also discuss about your prognosis and treatment plan. I sincerely hope you find this information useful. Do keep us posted.
Good luck!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank