Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Risks associated with mastectomy in a patient with brain metastases

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

My sister has been diagnosed with breast cancer three years ago and was also diagnosed with brain metastases as a result of breast cancer. She has been under mastectomy surgery once and now she has to go for a mastectomy for her other breast. She has just finished a round of radiation therapy for her brain metastasis. I wonder if there are any risks associated with anesthesia that she will receive in the process of mastectomy surgery. Specifically, does anesthesia for her mastectomy jeopardize her brain function in the process? Would oncologists recommend this type of operation for a person whose brain metastasis is still being treated?  Is it possible that anesthesia puts her in danger of not being able to recover from it?

These are all questions that would best be posed to her treatment team, who would have all of her medical hx, current health status, tests results,etc. needed to formulate the best treatment plan for her.

Best weishes to both you and your sister...