Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Sore Scalp
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Sore Scalp

Hi there,

In December, my mother started full brain radiation. She completed her radiation the end of January. She ended up losing all of her hair. It's been almost 7 weeks since her last radiation treatment. Her hair still hasn't grown back and she complains everyday about her head being sore. Her scalp looks so dry. Almost like cradle cap. Is this normal??

Thank you.
Related Discussions
  • MOH SURGERY
    I recently had MOH surgery after biopsy showed I had bas...[more]
  • My HAIR hurts???? (7 replies):
    Maybe it's not my hair...it feels like when you'd put pi...[more]
  • bump on head (1 replies):
    my brother in law has had a lump on his head for over a ...[more]
  • Cancer? (6 replies):
    Worried... by Vmp, Nov 18, 2010 08:02AM Hi! I am 2...[more]
  • my mama (4 replies):
    My mom has a bump on her scalp and i am worried that it ...[more]
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi.
Radiotherapy can cause changes in the scalp of the patient after receiving full brain irradiation.  Most of the time, a dark discoloration on the scalp is noticeable.  There may be dryness also, associated with itchiness, flaking, and feeling of a "tight scalp".  Sometimes, secondary infection develops when there are excoriations in the scalp.
I would suggest you put moisturizing cream on your mother's scalp.  It would also be appropriate if you can bring her back to her radiation oncologist for further evaluation.
Good luck.
Blank
364228_tn?1214576973
Thank you, as always, for your replies. I had called her radiation oncologist right after I posted. And sure enough they want to see her this Friday. She goes for a PETscan today so they will have her results by then. Two things I had failed to mention in my post was that she was also complaining about periodic headaches and the last time I had put lotion on her head she complained that the lotion was very cold and it had hurt her. I didn't do anything out of the norm with the lotion. I thought that the cold sensation bothering her was wierd. Anyway...I will keep you posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...