Sore Scalp
Hi there,

In December, my mother started full brain radiation. She completed her radiation the end of January. She ended up losing all of her hair. It's been almost 7 weeks since her last radiation treatment. Her hair still hasn't grown back and she complains everyday about her head being sore. Her scalp looks so dry. Almost like cradle cap. Is this normal??

Thank you.
Hi.
Radiotherapy can cause changes in the scalp of the patient after receiving full brain irradiation.  Most of the time, a dark discoloration on the scalp is noticeable.  There may be dryness also, associated with itchiness, flaking, and feeling of a "tight scalp".  Sometimes, secondary infection develops when there are excoriations in the scalp.
I would suggest you put moisturizing cream on your mother's scalp.  It would also be appropriate if you can bring her back to her radiation oncologist for further evaluation.
Good luck.
Thank you, as always, for your replies. I had called her radiation oncologist right after I posted. And sure enough they want to see her this Friday. She goes for a PETscan today so they will have her results by then. Two things I had failed to mention in my post was that she was also complaining about periodic headaches and the last time I had put lotion on her head she complained that the lotion was very cold and it had hurt her. I didn't do anything out of the norm with the lotion. I thought that the cold sensation bothering her was wierd. Anyway...I will keep you posted.