Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Touching a cancerous tumor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Touching a cancerous tumor

My husband has a huge Liposarcoma cancerous tumor outside of his body in the chest area.  The tumor leaks and bleeds causing me to handle soiled pads and linens.  The odor is horrible.  

Is my health in danger?  Is it possible for live cancer cells to enter my body?

Thank you for an answer.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. But cancer cells do not spread by contact, so please don't worry. The foul smell could be due to an infection. For the discharge have a culture and sensitivity test done to find out the correct antibiotic that the infecting organism is sensitive to and taking this medication for the required amount of days may help to clear infection. So, don't worry and discuss this with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.