Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Triple Negative

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Triple Negative

I have a friend with triple negative (ER-, PR - and Her2 -).  She is upset b/c she can't take hormonal therapy, but also feels ER- and PR - along with Her2 negative  is associated with lower survival rates.

Isn't it preferable to be Her2 negative.. regardless of the ER & PR status, since she won't need Herceptin?  Or am I just totally mixed up on this issue??

I'm ER+, PR+ and Her2 negative, so I'm not as versed in that subject area.

hi jennifer i am also triple neg. i have been told it could be a good thing because you dont have to put those additional chmicals in body for 1 to 5 yrs. but i also may have new cancer near lungs so only time will tell. i did find a website called triple negative that is helpful. jay
Hi.
You have a more favorable prognostic factor than your friend who is triple negative.
There are also other prognostic factors to consider like the stage of the cancer, presence of lymphovascular invasion, hormone receptor status, etc.
It is very important for her to undergo further treatment.
Stay positive.
My paths showed no evidence of lyphovascular invasion or extra capsular extension (is this the same thing) - however, I was still diagnosed 3C due to the large # of positive nodes.
Hi.
TNM staging for breast cancer depends on the size of the tumor (T), number of lymph nodes positive for cancer (N), and presence or absence of metastatic site/s (M).
Lymphovascular invasion is just one of the prognostic factors in breast cancer.  The presence of lymphovascular invasion warrants a more aggressive treatment strategy as compared to those without lymphovascular invasion.
I am triple negative as well and there is actually a triple negative breast cancer foundation.  
http://www.tnbcfoundation.org/tnbc/Home.asp

Everyone has been so helpful...but still my question is can you actually live once it hits your bones???   I am sorry but i need to prepare my self for what seems like the inevitable...