Tumor marker ca27-29 increase
I have just been told my tumor marker CA27-29 has gone from 33 to 203.  The doctor is ordering a cat scan.  In six months its increased 170 points.   Has anyone else had this happen and had a positive result.  The nurse said it isn't always cancer that raises the sscore.  I am really upset and won't get the reults until the end of january..

Anyone have a similar situation ?

Lorraine
Hi Lorraine!
CA 27-29 is a tumor marker similar to the CA 15-3 found in the blood of most  patients with breast cancer.CA 27-29 levels should always be used in conjunction with mammograms and measurements of other tumor marker levels to check for recurrence .It can be elevated in cancers of the stomach,colon,kidney,lung,ovary,pancreas,liver and uterus. Non cancerous conditions like first trimester pregnancy, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, kidney and liver disease and benign breast disease are non cancerous causes of elevated CA 27-29.It is not highly sensitive or specific resulting in false positives and false negatives. In my opinion these markers should be used as guidelines and can indicate if further testing is needed like PET scans, CT scans, mammograms etc.Be positive and do not worry.
Take care!
why are you wasting your time replying to posts made 4 years ago!!!