Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
What does this mean? Mammo Report

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

What does this mean? Mammo Report

Do you know what it means when a report says "masses in upper outer quadrant are more apparent than previous studies and are iso-attenuating to breast parenchyma".  What does iso-attenuating mean?  Good or bad?  There's more to the report but I didn't understand this and my dr is not in the office. I left a message but he won't call me back until next week.

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
First of all...get another doctor! If you are worried and he wont call back or see you or even take thetime to say "everythings ok" until next week...tell him bye bye...also you can call the radiology or mammo department or go to the dept at the hospital where it was done and the radiologist there will explain it to you. I would like to say that if it was serious or meant cancer that he would have called you first or his office would have and scheduled an immediate appt...however you can never tell about doctors these days and only you know aht kind of doctor you have..do you trust him" Have you been his patient for very long?

I dont understand all of that terminology...but.

With age, the breast tissue will change. In a young woman, the breast tissue is dense and parenchyma rich. As the woman ages, the fat content of the breast tissue will increase. This explains the overall aspect of the breast, as it will begin to droop. The increased fat content of the breast in older patients accounts for the higher quality of their mammograms (increased fat content equals increased image quality).
as far as iso attentuation

so "masses in upper outer quadrant are more apparent than previous studies and are iso-attenuating to breast parenchyma" I believe simply means that masses...the breast tissue itself is more apparent now than it was on your last exam due to skin and tissue thinning as we age and isoatenuating means no change seen other than the breat mases/tissue is more apparent or more visible due to thinning now and more fatty content in the breast

Hope this helps..

..
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Images show radiolucent or opaque shadows. Iso-attenuating to breast parenchyma means that the lesion or mass is neither darker or lighter then the breast tissue, it is the same. Tumors usually are lighter or radiolucent. And only a differential diagnosis can be obtained from this.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.