Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
What is usually after abraxane?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What is usually after abraxane?

Hi,
I'm worried about my mom. She was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer back in Dec 05. She did well on antihormone and zometa. Then last year she had to get off the antihormone pill and go on chemo. They put her on a chemo pill and she didn't do well after 4 months. Now she's on abraxane and after 2-3 months they switched her again (not sure to what).

She can't hold food down due to diarrhea so she's losing a lot of weight. I don't know what to do for her. The oncologist said "don't write her off, there's lots to choose from" but to me tumors in spine, liver (too many to count), spleen, bone, a spot in the lungs, something near her stomach (the details of things are sketchy) I just don't know. To me, switching things in a few short months doesn't have a good outcome.

Am I doom and gloom for nothing or are these non responders in a matter of two months mean that things are accelerating. She said she felt a lump in her breast (she had the other removed). The doc blew it off saying the chemo would take care of it if it's a lump (she told her it's scar tissue but that's how this whole cancer diagnosis got missed in the first place).

I"m scared. I know that there is no cure for her stage and from 05 to now she's been doing really well, but I'm not handling this well at all knowing that it's not looking good.

Are there tons of choices and not responding to abraxane is nothing or is it really that she's on the road of short trial and error and from things being so short to respond, that it's really not looking good?