Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
Worried without a cause?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Worried without a cause?

I am a 2-yr survivor of Stage 3 Invasive ductal, ER/PR+, HER2-. I had chemo, radiation, and am now on Femara (I had a hysterectomy just after radiation.) I have not been very worried about my CA returning,have always felt pretty good about it. HOWEVER, recently started having severe reflux, was sent to GI, and had an EGD. He found a small mass in my esophagus.  Did a 2nd EGD with ultrasound, decided not to mess with the mass, said it looked really benign,told me they would look again in 6 months. So that was last week.  This week I saw my ONCO, who is new to me, as my original one left the practice.  She said, no way, the mass needs to be biopsied NOW, and also my ongoing anemia is worse, and my ALK PHOS is elevated. (Its not my GB, I had it removed.)  So today I had about 7 or 8 vials of blood drawn, for testing thyroid, liver panel, anemia panel, etc. My onco said, its probably nothing but lets find out for sure.  AND she moved my PET scan up, I had been put on an every 6 month schedule, now its every 3 again.  I just cant help thinking either this is overkill, or I may be in big trouble again. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Its making me NERVOUS!
I think the way you feel is entirely understandable, and I would be worried as well. I was in a similar situation and I kept on going back and forth between knowing something was really wrong, and then believing that the whole thing was nothing and no mets, and I felt embarrasses. Then back to knowing there was something really wrong, even if noone else thought so.

But then one thing showed up and from there the tests went. It was almost a relief to find out, and be taken seriously. My cancer had come back after two years in my case as I had thought, and I also had stage 3 invasive  b.c.

I am not telling you this so you can become more scared but to let you know that I really, really empathize with how you feel, and it's a very difficult time to get through no matter what the outcome?

Let us know, KAT
It also really helps to have your tumor markers drawn for comparison with earlier, and still to come, tests.

If the lesion turns out to be cancerous, it is also not unusual for some time to go by before it actually showsnup clearly. That was the case with my liver. Yes, there were lesions for sure but they were most likely hemagiomas, and then the picture changes, and especially the tumor markers went up.

I was feeling less and less well, but am now on chemo again, and since have felt so incredibly good, that itself is scary too, as I am afraid I may forget I ever had a problem

Best to you and let us know,

KAT
Thank you! now that you mention it, I remember that, when I had my gallbladder out, which was right after I finished chemo, the surgeon said I had a mass in my liver that he had to biopsy.  It turned out to be a benign atypical hemangioma. Well, it was benign then. I wonder if my new oncologist even knows about it.  Oh, well, its a wait and see game now, I guess.

I just dont want to be sick this year! I have 4 teenagers, 2 seniors and 2 juniors, and I dont want to detract from their high school moments! I want to be SUPERMOM for them.  Even my younger ones (I also have a 7 and 9 year old, total of 6) have picked up that I am having more doctor appt's than usual.

Thanks so much for responding!   KIM