Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
breast cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

breast cancer

im 36 and just been diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. i havent been into surgery yet. can anyone give me any info on how serious it is and what are my chances of survival.
Breast cancer of course is always serious BUT in this day and age it is a very treatable disease. I've never felt that Stage is all that important as the Stage will be different after your surgery. There are too many factors involved to even speak about chances of survival ... and survival is very common with all the advanced treatment methods available. From what you say you have just had some type of biopsy to obtain a diagnosis so you are just beginning your journey. After your surgery you will see an Oncologist who will formulate the best treatment plan for your particular case. Please come back with any questions or concerns you may have throughout you journey and we will do our best to be of some help.   Take care ....
As stated by japdip, breast cancer is serious, but the survival rate is much better.  Stage only has to do with lymph node involvement and the size of the tumor.  THis helps the oncologist determine the treatment for your particular cancer.  It was after my surgery that the surgeon found lymph node involvement plus the size of 1 of the 3 tumors was larger.  6 wks after surgery,  I was healed enough to begin chemo.  I don't think of prognosis, I think of my cancer as "pee wee's great adventure".  You will feel much better after you talk with your surgeron and oncologist b/c the more you know the better you'll feel.  let my know if you have more questions/concerns.  Take care
Hi Paula,

It is serious as all cancers are. Right now you're freaking out and that's understandable. My mass was so large they had to do chemo first trying to shrink the mass, then mastectomy, then more chemo followed by radiation. My suggestion is to see if there is a breast cancer treatment center where you live where you make an appointment and see the chemo oncologist, surgeon, plastic surgeon and radiation oncologist all at one sitting. I brought a voice activated tape recorder with me as I found that my mind would catch (stop & think about something they said) while they continued talking and I didn't want to miss anything. They went over all of my test results and came up with a plan of action without wasting time and 15 different appointments. I know you want to know about survival rates as I did. It's human nature. I wish I could answer it for you. I will say this that I know for sure. Be positive. You hear it from everyone and it's hard to swallow but really, you want a good outcome so go forward with a good attitude. I worked through all of my treatments. I went to work bald and didn't care. The surgery was no big deal and I'm having my other breast removed in March, exactly one year after the first one. Keep positive people around you. You can do this. We are all here to support you.
I know just how you feel.  I was diagnosed with stage IIIA breast cancer in March of 2008 at age 37.  I too wanted to know just what you are asking (which I looked up on the internet).  I soon found myself spending a lot of time on the internet looking up info.  Then one day I realized that I should be spending time with my two girls-not with my computer.  I couldn't change where I was at, but I certainly wasn't going to let cancer take over my life any more than I could help it!!  I just finished my treatments at the end of December. Remember, there are a lot of things to consider when talking about survival rates.  I think one of the most important things to remember is that a statistic is just that.  I really believe that approaching this cancer with a fighting, positive determination makes a difference.  It is so easy to get caught up in numbers.  Try to take one day at a time and focus on what you can control.