Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
hysterectomy vs. tamoxifen
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

hysterectomy vs. tamoxifen

I was diagnosed with pleomorphic invasive lobular carcinoma  4 node pos.ER and PR pos.stage IIIA July '08. I have since had a bilateral mastectomy with immediate tram reconstruction followed by 4A/C, 4 taxotere and 33 radiation therapy treatments. I am now on tamoxifen and have been experiencing depression, extreme fatigue( weakness) with any physical exertion other than just walking. Is a hysterectomy a better alternative to taking tamoxifen or would I still need to take it?
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
25201_tn?1255584436
Having a hysterectomy would have nothing to do with your taking Tamoxifen or not. The ovaries are the Estrogen producers so unless they were removed the hormone would still be produced.  Regards .....
Blank
having a complete hysterectomy including ovaries would eliminate estrogen producers therefore would tamoxifen be needed?
Blank
25201_tn?1255584436
It would no doubt be another medication rather than Tamoxifen but that would be at the discretion of your Oncologist and his/her routine for post menopausal women.   There are other sources of Estrogen in our bodies (even in what we eat) than the bodies normal prodution.   Regards ....
Blank
995075_tn?1259787843
HI - this was a long time ago but I just got back to this site - I had a complete hysterectomy last Sept and they still make me take Femara - I was on Aromasin - hated it - and then back on tamoxifen but it interferes with my anti-depressant so now I'm on Femara - If your Dr,'s are anything like mine- you will be on something for a long time - and they aren't fun but better than the alternative - stay positive, Ellie
Blank
1525198_tn?1291488652
I had a bilateral mastectomy also, and the doctor put me on tamoxifen, and had terrible side effects. If you have a history of high triglycerides or cholesterol, please be careful of taking this medication. Now the doctor wants to put me on arimedix, which I am very leery of! Now they found a fibroid on my uterus, so have to go to the OBGYN to see if she recommends me to go on arimedix or not. Sometimes I wonder if the doctors really know what they are talking about? Stay positive and we are all sisters!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eaters: How to Silence Yo...