Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
liver cleanse after chemo?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

liver cleanse after chemo?

hi has anyone heard if a liver cleansr or detox is helpful to boost immune system?thx jay
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
hi Jay,
Your query seems to be incomplete. Liver cleanser or detox is what your asking, please be clear on your query.
Blank
330974_tn?1215368760
hi i was wondering if chemo damages or stays in the liver and if it does is it worth trying to cleanse the liver somehow? keep in mind i had last chemo on 04-18-06.thank you,jay
Blank
Hi,
You need to mention the drugs you are taking for chemotherapy. The most common drugs associated with liver damage are methotrexate, cytarabine (ara-C), vincristine, and streptozocin. In most cases the damage is temporary, and the liver recovers a few weeks after the drug is stopped. You need to inform your doctor if you notice any yellowish discoloration of skin or eyes, easy fatiguabilty or pain in the right upper abdomen. There are no drugs till now that can be called liver-protective. And no documented drug/ method to detox the liver post chemotherapy is known for now. You should also discuss this with your oncologist to clear any doubts. Goodluck.
Blank
330974_tn?1215368760
hi the chemo i had was cytoxin,taxol,taxotere,and adriamicin, i have had no yellowing or pain in abdomen but have lower white cells and am easily fatigued. thx for help i have talked to my onc someone else had mentioned trying to clean out the liver so i was just wondering about it.jay
Blank
hi,
Let's take chemotherapeutic agents in general.
Most of them are known to cause hepatotoxicity.
Now if you would like to know about minimizing the adverse effects on the liver, then from the choice of drugs available, the least toxic ones can be chosen.
As such there are no agents available in the  market that can cleanse your liver. All drugs have to be metabolised in the liver.
Blank
330974_tn?1215368760
thank you very much for your advice.jay
Blank
Your welcome
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now