Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
malignant breast calcifications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

malignant breast calcifications

I am waiting to hear the results of my biopsy on Friday, June 6. The surgeon removed them from the right breast.
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1994, I had a masectomy on the left side. It came back on the same side in 2005 and now my most recent mammogram indicated some calcifications that the radiologist did not like the way they looked. I know this is probably a recurrence of the same cancer. What are my options?
sorry to hear that myschelany. first of all, you should wait for the biopsy results.

how many were these lumps? were they confined to only one portion of the breast or were they spread out to all parts of the breast? if they are confined to one portion then the surgeon might do a breast-conserving surgery followed by radiotherapy.

were there any lymph nodes involved? if there are numerous lymph nodes detected positive for cancer, then surgery plus chemotherapy might be an option.

was there any estrogen/progesterone/HER2 tests done? if these are porsitive then an additional option would be hormonal therapy in addition to the ones mentioned above.

your doctor will still have to stage the disease. remember the stage of the disease will determine the best treatment option for you.  

hope this helps