Breast Cancer: Stage 3 & 4 Community
stage 3 triple negative

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, self exams, and stage 3 and 4 treatments.

stage 3 triple negative

About a year ago i was diagnosed stage 3 triple negative breast cancer. mammogram (digital) did not pick it up. Found the lump myself, (it hurt to the touch), doctor felt the lump, tech felt the lump still the mammo did not pick it up. Anyway - went thru chemo and radiation. Had follow up mri mammo, pet scan blood work etc. Now I have a lump again in the same breast. Oncologist concerned so she ordered another mammo, went to surgeon who said mammo looked fine have another one in 6 months. Then he examine me, my nipple is inverted and the lump is obvious - now he wishes to do an open bioposy. Is this a case of here we go again? Has anyone else experience this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not quite clear but you did have surgery the first time, didn'dt you ?  I would think that you might have had a mastectomy at the time of the first diagnosis due to the fact that the tumor was triple negative which would be a more aggressive cancer. This may very well be a case of  recurrance and I would advise you to proceed as soon as possible with the recommended biopsy.     Regards .....
At first diagnosis, due to my age (41) and the information given to me was that if I had the breast removed or kept it it would not change the outcome of reoccurence so choose to keep my breast and had a lumpectomy. My chemo treatment was not the standard of care, platinum and taxol. In the past year I had all my standard blood test, PET scan, mri's and everything said I was ok so when things started changing in the past month I just thought it was part of the healing process...

Thank you very much for your input
Take this very seriously, Leanne. It doesn't matter if this did not show up on mammogram. You must remind all of your doctors that it didn't the first time either, and this is likely to mean that these tests are not reliable in picking up your cancer.

In your case I would even advise you to go to a special high rated breast cancer institution or university related place for a top view second opinion.

It sounds like your cancer is very aggressive and you need to remember that although you don't know the stuff your doctor's know, you are the expert about your own body.

Do not let this go or pushed off,  in your case every day may count.

All the best,

KATRIN